Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 Chevy El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jurassic, Feb 14, 2010.

1. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

2. I respect the challenge and ingenuity to create. This is my opinion, leave that wagon alone, the two doors are real gems especially in that condition. The 59 Ec's are beauty's themselves. Although the black 57 creation is done exceptionally well let that creator soak up the build marvels. I just do not see the draw to these bastard type vehicles. Reminds me of the trifive chevy trucks that people add an extended cab to, the windows just never compliment the finished look. The red 57, I agree with another Hamber in looking like a Ford roof and sandblaster rear window. I would direct the energy into a 49-52 custom chop and drop before the 57. Also has anyone ever seen the 63 Impala with the Plymouth roof, it is very tasteful but again these one of a kinds should not be duplicated. Just my opinions, go for it if it is your dream. Good luck. :)

3. squirrel

squirrel

It takes a lot of thought to do it right.

[​IMG]

The 57 chevy "el camino" with the 59 roof in the first post does not look right. The roof is just weird.

4. Hey , you did good on that one, I think the fleetsides, the two tone and an older build adds to this one, nice job, well thought out!

5. belair

belair

And that one is right.

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

[​IMG]

7. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks, I make the first sketch in 1983, and built the truck in 1994.

8. one37tudor

one37tudor

How much wider is the 59 than the 57? Could that be why the window is now 3 piece?

9. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I am amazed that on a rod and custom website, so many people are whining and crying about the idea of the cutting up of a run of the mill 57 chev 2 door wagon.....

10. flat top austin

flat top austin

Hey if you cut the roof off that 59 how much would you want for the rest of the car?

11. 61 chevy

61 chevy

i think you will fuck up a good 57, and lose money on resale 1 day, but its your car

12. furyus

furyus
    from Virginia

You are being sarcastic, right? Because you wrote this:

<i>I have never seen a 567 elcamino that looks right to me, I even have a pic somewhere in my huge pile of magazines of a 55 elco factory concept idea, even that lookes bad to me- that idea used a 2 door wagon door, and what looked like a 567 truck big back window back window.
    the converted nomads make me sad...</I>

in this thread [post #7] just four months ago:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412073&highlight=nomad+elcamino

"Run of the mill 57 chev 2 door wagon." GOTTA be sarcasm.

furyus

13. 1320/150

1320/150

Ha Ha thats funny!!!

14. furyus

furyus
    from Virginia

Chevrolet produced, in round numbers, 1,400,000 cars in 1957, not including the Corvette. Of that 1.4 million, 32,000 were 2-dr Handyman wagons in both 150 and 210 trim levels. I'd be surprised if 1000 still exist, in any condition. I think it would be a waste to chop one up to make an EC. Besides, as nice as that '57 with the '59 roof is back in the beginning of this thread, what's the point? You know the owner probably nearly has a stroke if an oak leaf inadvertently lands in the bed.

furyus

15. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

no, being totally serious!
    I do not care for nomads that are cut up, the roof post looks good, but what do you do with the rear window?
    I have yet to see an elco/nomad with a rear window that I like.
    and I agree with a comment from earlier in this thread that the nomad tailgate leans too far forward into the bed.
    and if you asked me today, I would mention that yes I have seen one 567 converted to a elcamino that I liked, which would be the black one pictured in this thread.
    ... the wagon? I am sure when people get desperate enough for them we will see 4-2 door conversions, just like people do with the sedans... they reproduce 2 door sedan doors now, and there are alot of 4 doors for poeple to convert.

What I really think would make the black elcamino look right, is some trim from a 57 sedan delivery. I would like to see that.

16. I was open to the idea until I saw your Handyman wagon. This car is waaay too nice to cut up! I think the two door Handyman wagon looks as good as or better than a Nomad (and I own one).

I would look long and hard at the project like this and the skills needed to do it. Have you ever attempted anything on this scale before? There is nothing worse than trying it and not succeeding or not finishing it. I've seen a lot of difficult projects that never make it to the finish line. :( Maybe you should take a shot at something else just to see if you enjoy the process first.

And saving that '59 El Camino wouldn't be a bad idea either!

Have you ever cussed at the guys that years ago cut up an old pre-16 motorcycle that you were restoring?

Winter has been a bitch this year in SD, so maybe the cabin fever is setting in? :D Put some paint on that old wagon this winter and drive it next summer before you get out the sawzall! :)

17. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

here is how I would like to see it, rough photo chop:
    I put on the sedan delivery chrome, and chopped it just enough to use a hardtop windshield

Attached Files:

18. More pics.......................

It doesn't look as good from this angle. The rear pillar doesn't fit with the rest of the car in my opinion.
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 1957 El Camino</td></tr></table>
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 1957 El Camino</td></tr></table>And these two are just wrong!
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 1957 El Camino</td></tr></table>
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 1957 El Camino</td></tr></table>And this one is a model from the Danbury Mint!<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 1957 El Camino</td></tr></table>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  19. Here is what happens when it goes terribly wrong...............after all its just another Tri-5 Chevy!
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Drop Box</td></tr></table>
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Drop Box</td></tr></table>

20. Chuck Carman

Chuck Carman

I like the idea. While you're cutting I would put in the quarter panel dips that all the tri-five non-wagons have. That should make it a little less square.

21. Its for sale too, get in line for this one!

1957 Chevy Nomad Wagon. All custom, '92 Corvette motor, 4L60 4-sp auto trans, Corvette dashboard, all customized including front end with Mercedes headlights, custom grill, electric hood/windows/doors/tailgate, custom built frame with 9" Ford rear end, all wheel disc brakes, new American Torque Thrust II wheels, 15/7 front, 15/10 back with Hoosier radial tires, full custom interior. This car is pro-street and has been tubbed. Too many custom changes to list. Price - $ 59,500

22. Or some suicide doors for your '57 Delivery............

23. Domino

Domino

Too bad a lot of the people trying to recreate George Barris smoke like George Clinton. The last two are just wrong.

24. NateGreco

NateGreco

hack up handymans all you want ...... people have to lay off the nomads.....that last one looked like an abortion

25. willie57

willie57
    from wisconsin

Go for it you will have one killer of a car when you are done.

26. I really like the look of the black one,cause it looks stock. Not like some half-ass Hotrod attempt. The more original it looks the better appeal it has...

27. Mojo

Mojo

years ago, I saw a 55 chevy wagon turned elky at a car show. The rear of the roof was from a early or mid 60's chevy truck. It looked really good, completely natural. I think the 59 window treatment just doesn't look right. The 59 chevy was a long pointy car, while the 57 is a rounded car with pointy fins. It sorta works, but not well enough in my opinion. I'm going to try a photoshop later on, I think this is a very interesting project, i'd like to try some ideas too.

28. I think you should look for a better candidate to hack up. But there are a bunch of handyman wagons around still. And I do like the black one at the beginning of this thread. Aw do it. It's not like it's a Nomad or anything.

29. someone needs some serious slapping. This is just wrong.

30. Ok lets tally the votes and end this!