Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 Chevy El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jurassic, Feb 14, 2010.

1. jurassic

jurassic
    from sturgis

2. jurassic

jurassic
    from sturgis

3. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Its your car go for it! The 57 looks great, then again i do dig the car/truck thing obviously haha :D

4. shop teacher

shop teacher

I would like to see the shape of the 57 Nomad B pillar on your El Camino.Maybe photo shop the roof and b pillar of a 57 Nomad? Would it be possible to graft on a 68-72 El Camino roof? Its a great project- good luck. Bill

5. Didn't El Caminos doors more resemble the size of a 4 Door front door?

6. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Oh man.....if ya can, cut up a '60 El Camino instead....
    I've been looking for a '59 Elky project for awhile and all I find around here are '60's...there's a ton of 'em. '59's much harder to find....

7. Django

Django
    from Chicago

What if you disguise the '59 top by putting the rear roofline of the wagon there, so it looks more factory era appropriate? Still use the '59 glass, but trick the viewer with the '55 top.

8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I agree!

9. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

10. Nope. They are longer than the doors off a four-door.

11. jurassic

jurassic
    from sturgis

heres one with the more 57 looking roof.it has no lines that are any different than any 57 really. the 59 roof flows perfectly with the tail fins,also with the 59 roof being nearly flat and hanging out over the rear window,it gives the car a more streamlined look.the black 57 looks like its moving when its parked. [​IMG]

12. jurassic

jurassic
    from sturgis

spacecar

13. jurassic

jurassic
    from sturgis

the red 57 also looks like a nomad,the tailgate leans in quite a bit more than the wagon does.kinda makes the bed look smaller than it is.

14. jurassic

jurassic
    from sturgis

heres another version thats unacceptable for me. [​IMG]

15. furyus

furyus
    from Virginia

The idea is cool, but not cool enough to destroy that '57. Not a whole lot of those cars around, and the idea of intentionally destroying one boggles my mind.

furyus

16. glassguy

glassguy

hes not junking it!! what the hell are you talking about destroying it?? hes looking to take a wagon and make a fantastic 1 off elcamino out of it!!! thats the same as someone saying i was destroying my 4 door merc to make a chopped 2 door... shheesh!!

17. redo32

redo32

On the West Coast that Handyman is a desirable piece. I always wanted one, not that I would trade my Nomad for one. Why not find a four door? Just in case something happens & you can't finish the El Camino, you won't deprive somebody of a good Handyman. There are posts here on converting a 4dr to a 2 dr, it's a lot of work, but there's a lot of cutting & welding to change the top & bed any way. I haven't figured out that back window either. I believe that the original 59 back window is tempered, meaning you can't cut it to narrow it. Is the black car got a plexiglas window, & if it is why did they make it a 3 piece?

18. I snapped this at the car show in Amarillo a few years back. As mentioned if you need details call Mark Warrick. He'll know.

[​IMG]

19. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

the 61 chevy 2 and 4 door sedans had a similar roof to the 59 elco, just a little more rounded, less angular...
    I wonder if it would fit /lookbetter with the curves of the tri5?
    Also take a look at a 61 corvair, similar roof, but much smaller rear window, it might be the right size for ths conversion...?

Attached Files:

20. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

It sounds like you have the right ideas in your head to pull it off.If you are confident you can do it.GO FOR IT! chop that sucker.Man I would love to be there to help.I worked in a custom body shop when I was a young body man learning the trade my shop owner told me it doesn't matter how new,rare or nice a car is ,don't be afraid to cut it up and modify it to improve what it is as long as you do a quality job that you can take pride in. I have since customized hundreds of nice cars and don't regret cutting into any of them. Now get out there and let er rip.

21. furyus

furyus
    from Virginia

Yeah, you're right. Cutting the top off that car won't destroy it. Nothing a little buffin' won't fix.

In my opinion a '57 2dr wagon is too cool and too valuable to destroy by cutting off the roof, especially one that looks to be in nice condition. A 4dr Mercury? Yeah, get out the torches.

furyus

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  22. 1320/150

1320/150

Sell it to someone it does something for!!! I am tired of this artsy shit with nicecars. Your cutting the roof off go find a 57 wagon with a shitty roof!!

23. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I have and have had many 57s of all different shapes, but never one like that black 57/59 Camino often thought of a way to do it but never liked the look, that one is "AWESOME' As far as being more valuable what do you do with the money you saved up when your "Dead".

Plan carefully and go for it, lots of luck.

Pat

24. After seeing that wagon, I don't know. That wagon looks sweet! I would love to have that.

25. 1320/150

1320/150

I will go on record saying that black el camino was done very well. I have never seen it done with the right rear window treatemnt. I just see so many prospects for the whole sawzall thing. I just don't think this wagon is it!!!

26. It doesn't matter what I think you should do..it is yours after all. Now, as far as the black '57 goes, it is done very nice. I have never been a fan of these conversions, but that black one, can make a believer out of you.

27. 1952henry

1952henry

Sort of looks like a 1967-60 Ford pickup cab grafted on. I for one like the elco roof line better.

28. nutajunka

nutajunka

59 4 door hardtops had a similiar roof, also taking a couple inchs out of the top might get rid of the 2 inch overhang you talk about. Then you would be hacking up 3 cars...:D I'd make it a little different than the black one even though I really like it, why make a clone of one already done? Might as well go buy a new pair of black shoes...:rolleyes:

29. rustyhood

rustyhood

You are starting off right. Posting here . Great pros and cons on the project. You have the idea of what you want to do, Go for it! Someone else may need that roof on the Nomad so if you dont need it, maybe you just save another from the crusher. My suggestion is: use a paint program and play with it before you get the saw out. Make this one YOUR design and attitude. Bracing is important and Measure a few times cut once. Think it completly through. Great advice from these guy's..I know because they helped me. just my 2c

30. jurassic

jurassic
    from sturgis

i think this is definatly the right place to get some good info.thanks . i'll probably just do it.what the hell ,its only metal. [​IMG]