Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 Chevy bellhousing and starter questions...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RacerRick, May 30, 2009.

1. RacerRick

RacerRick

Will a stock V8 57' chevy bellhousing (car bellhousing) allow a ST10 to bolt up to it? What is the largest clutch and flywheel you can use? Is there a special starter?

I am working on my 57' Laurentian (canadian pontiac built on a chevy chassis) and want to convert the car back over to stick shift and am looking at what I need to do it. I am also on a budget so no lakewood bellhousing or anything like that unless I can find it used for cheap!

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Borg Warner Super T-10 will bolt to the housing. You need the 168 tooth/14" diameter flywheel, and depending on the type of clutch cover (Borg and Beck, diaphragm, 3 finger) an 11" cover will fit fine. The disc will need the 26 spline pattern. Use the bellhousing mounted 3 bolt starter, otherwise you have to remove the outermost starter bolt boss to use a block mounted starter. You could use a 153 tooth flywheel, and the correct block mounted starter also. But, I say don't mess up a 55-57 stock bellhousing, use the stock starter. P.M. me if you need a parts supplier, I have a freind that deals in 55-57 Chevrolet cars AND parts. Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. RacerRick

RacerRick

Awesome! I will be looking for one at the Barrie Swap meet next weekend then! Maybe I can luck out and find a cheap one.

Is there a place I can find the bell housing casting numbers to look for?

4. squirrel

squirrel

Shouldn't need the casting number, look for two holes at the bottom of the ears on the bellhousing....that's all that used that style bell. The trucks had only one bolt hole there.

[​IMG]

you'd be pissed if I told you I found a lakewood 55-7 bellhousing at the local swap meet for $15 a few years ago, so I won't

5. I,ll be vending at 1J1,2 and 3 brown field. Drop on by for a cold one! Can,t miss my big yellow Dodge!

6. RacerRick

RacerRick

Are you going to be there all three days? I will be wearing a HAMB shirt.

7. Going Wednesday night and staying till Sunday....