Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Pontiac Star Chief Fender Skirt Installation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaxxRuckus, Feb 25, 2014.

1. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

Hi all,

I was at the Big 3 swap meet in San Diego this weekend, and happened to stumble across a set of fender skirts for my '56. They were in great shape, and I got them both and the mounting hardware for $100, which I thought was a pretty solid deal (I've seen them go on ebay for more in worse condition).

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone has any experience mounting these things.

I was doing some research online, and found this page which goes into some detail around the skirts and installation:

http://www.pontiacsafari.com/L1Garage/SkirtBrackets/index.htm

However, the pictures show some pre-drilled mounting holes and tabs in the curved lip inside the fender. I inspected my fenders, and mine don't have any tabs up inside the top of the fender, nor do I see any holes anywhere in the lip where mounting hardware might install. I guess I might have to drill some holes, but I don't really even know where I should drill them and where these brackets mount up. And what is the metal rod that moves up and down in the middle of the skirts for? I think it's used to remove/lock them in place, but I'm not quite sure how it works.

Finally, I've read about the rubber seal that goes on top of the skirts in between them and the fender. I see that repros are available online, do you think these are worth getting? My fenders are nicely painted metalflake green, so maybe I should to preserve the paint?

I've attached some pictures to show the skirts and the hardware, and my fender well on the passenger side, but I doubt that pic is any help. I did test fit the skirts and they are perfect fits size-wise.

Thanks all!

Attached Files:

2. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

Anyone have any info here? Bump!

3. No info, but I'll help you install them!

4. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

OK I'm going to take you up on that!

5. 54vicky

54vicky

try to google mounting 55-56 pontiac fender skirts there may be info from pontiac forums somewhere.you need to mount those brackets exactly they usually attach to lip on wheel opening also do get the rubber.it helps to hold in place also saves paint.once you get them mounted you will find the rod is used to lock in place.

6. 54vicky

54vicky

found this for you pontiacsafari.com

7. 54vicky

54vicky

if you have some one to help it will be easy.jack up place jackstand under frame remove wheel.with someone holding skirt exactly where it goes.get under car and using a sharpie mark fender lip where you need to install brackets at top.now for the bottom using a small pair of vise grips possibly needle nose ones may be better clamp bracket making sure skirt is exactly flush with fender.I if doing this would when ready take the smallest drill bit you have and try to drill holes for screws.dont push to hard on the small bit.if hole is not in center of the hole for screw if not too far off then drill with a 1/8 to 3/16 bit do not drill hole bigger than head of screw.it is important to not have to move bracket to match hole as skirt will not mount right.you may drill out to 1/4 to allow some movement for proper fit of bracket.this goes for the top brackets as well.taking the time with the smaller bit step will pay off.takes probably 10 15 minutes more but well worth it.if you rush you will have a shitty looking mounted skirt.also DO order the rubber it helps the skirt to hold tight when clamped using that bent rod looking thing.when you have skirt mounted you use the rod to lock skirt in place.you push up on rod then toward you and it should clip on lip of skirt that faces you.now with the rubber dont trim to fit as it will shrink over time leave at least 3/8 on each end.I would use 3m weather strip glue to attach use sparingly.order an extra set of rubbers if put them on with out painting.I would not try to reuse after gluing.the pictures on the site I gave you are excellent for reference.hope this helps you.I will follow this thread for your progress.good luck and take your time it will pay off

8. 54vicky

54vicky

I just noticed on bottom brackets I forgot to say once skirts are removed then drill brackets senior moment also forgot web site I looked up for you pontiacsafari.com.SENIOR MOMENTS are wonderful

9. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

hey 54 Vicky, first of all THANK YOU for the help and description. I had found that pontiacsafari.com website as well, that is the only site I can find with pictures and some information on mounting these.

I'll follow your instructions and try to get these mounted. Thank you for the help! Will post pictures and updates. I need to order the rubber first. Found some on ebay.

10. 54vicky

54vicky

no problem on help