Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Pontiac Chieftain gasser - SEGA build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 4Birdman, May 31, 2018.

1. 4Birdman

4Birdman

So I'm hooked. I was watching videos of gasser races and my kids and I thought it was pretty cool. Then my best friend went to a Southeast Gasser race and he was hooked, and told me about it and I got hooked. Then this last weekend I took my family to a SEGA race and we were all hooked, even my wife was getting into it a bit. So on Monday our new project came in. I'm a diehard Pontiac guy, so naturally I had to find a Poncho. I came across a 56 Chieftain with a pretty solid body and factory manual transmission. It has a 316 and a 3-spd, but we're putting in a different combo. I have a T10 and a 400 here for now that will go in it. Eventually we're going to build a 326 out of a 287 crank and a 400 block and probably do a Nash 4-spd. I'm working on a deal on a straight axle out of an old Chevy truck, so we'll see what happens.

My wife decided on the name Dirty Bird for it. We call my shop The Bird's Nest since I'm into Firebirds/TAs, so even though it is a Chief we'll go with the theme.

Pics of the beast as it sits.
    2018-05-28 12.09.37.jpg
    2018-05-28 12.09.52.jpg
    2018-05-28 12.10.01.jpg
    2018-05-28 12.10.09.jpg

2. 4Birdman

4Birdman

A little update. I had a rebuilt Super T-10 here with a new shifter that I was planning on putting in the car, but after talking to some SEGA guys they said it wouldn't hold up to what we were doing. They recommended a Jerico, Hightower, or Nash 4spd. I somehow came across a Nash 4+1 with a Long inline shifter for a song, so I snatched it up. Time to put the other one up for sale to repay my savings. Haha.

enloe and loudbang like this.
  3. wvenfield

wvenfield

I know someone that would love to have your bellhousing and flywheel.......if you are of the notion to part with them.

hillbilly and loudbang like this.
  4. 4Birdman

4Birdman

Unfortunately those are the two parts that I didn't have yet for my setup.

loudbang likes this.

5. Someone here races a '57 Poncho, IIRC.

loudbang likes this.
  6. wvenfield

wvenfield

And a 55 a 56 and A couple 56's in the works. Probably more.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - going to make a fiberglass mold of front bumper, etc? to loose a few hundred pounds

loudbang likes this.
  8. kursplat

kursplat

this should be fun.
    i was looking at that bumper, thinking without it, the front end would be pretty close to gasser height without the straight axle :)

OahuEli and loudbang like this.
  9. catdad49

catdad49

Yeah, loosing that front bumper will start the ''look'. Custom guys would Love that rear bumper (more money for the build)! Read the rule book and ask questions when in doubt. The SEG guys will set you straight (and even help you find parts). Starting a build thread would be a great way to introduce yourself to everyone. Remember, it's just a Hobby. It's supposed to be Fun!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  10. D-man313

D-man313

Heck ya man! I'm building a 56 Pontiac now also. Won't be SEGA legal but I know a lot of them guys and they know how to put on a show!! I look forward to seeing updates and how this comes together. My build thread is on here somewhere. I need to get back on my car and get it done. Life got in the way for the past few months.

IMG_5621.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I never really liked the 56 Pontiac front sheet metal, although the 55 Pontiac looks good to me. Lots of weight to that front end sheet metal; I'd swap to a fiberglass 55 Chevrolet nose (Chevontiac or Pontilet?). For looks, I'd also swap a 55 Chevrolet rear bumper. There's been a fiberglass 55-57 Chevrolet trunk lid on the Seattle area Craig's List for sale, and that would make for another weight savings, as the 55-57 Pontiacs use the same trunk lid as the Tri-Five Chevrolet's. Rather than use a truck I-beam front axle, use an aftermarket tube axle; the idea here is to save some weight over the truck pieces. Several Pontiac Gassers going together here on the HAMB; welcome to the fold.I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. Can't wait to see the competitive Pontiac engine blueprint for this deal.

13. loudbang

loudbang

Nice score for getting hooked only a week ago.

enloe likes this.
  14. Wondering how the 287 crank is gonna fit hat 400 block.....different size main bearings. BTW, I've had a string of 55-57 Pontiacs and not only is the stock bumper big and heavy, it's double ugly! I always dumped the bumpers on mine.
    The original 55-57 clutch linkage is complicated and hard to keep in adjustment...all those pivot points are just linkage rods in holes in the linkage and the rods wear.
    Usinsg the 55 chevy front sheetmetal ain't gonna happen unless you change the wheelbase 7" or you could use Canadian 55-56 Pontiac sheetmetal. Those Pontiacs were built on the chevy chassis. Personally, I prefer the longer Pontiac front clips. Rockys56poncho.jpg

31hotrodguy, wvenfield and loudbang like this.
  15. catdad49

catdad49

Bird, check out Ron Pope. He has a front axle package that a lot of the guys run at a decent price. Getting the weight in the Right place will be your friend. Can't wait to see this come together, Carp.

loudbang likes this.
  16. SEGA car aren't required to have a grille or bumpers, apparently. That doesn't seem correct to me, as NHRA cars required a grille. Possibly not at outlaw and un-sanctioned tracks in the 60's.
    That solves a few problems for you anyway.
    Maybe Quain will address this issue.

17. 6sally6

6sally6

Take it from somebody "who-was-there!".......no front bumper.....but do have a grille!
    Not sure what SEGA rules state but........
    6sally6
    I miss the 63-63-64 big Ponchos with the 421 dual quad set up!! Put one of those on a diet and get competitive! (Bring tears to alotta old guyz eyez too!)

loudbang likes this.
  18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Lighten the car up; that will go a long ways in making it faster. When the front axle is done, do the wheelbase shortening for the 55 Chevrolet front clip I was talking about; it will look a lot better too. Had a friend with a 56 Pontiac that someone had installed a 301 Pontiac engine and TH-350 transmission in; only a 267 Pontiac engine would have been more gutless; but it was just a cruiser. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Butch, you shouldn't insult a gutless 267 SBC like that. I'm sure you meant 265;-)

20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^ RIGHT, a 265 PONTIAC ^^^. The 267 was Chevrolet's deal. I'm really not much up on Pontiac's, but I still think GM should have canned Buick, and kept the Oldsmobile and Pontiac lines. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang, wvenfield and 31hotrodguy like this.
  21. Actually, a 301 4 bbl . or turbo can be made to run pretty well, as long as you don't go much over 5 grand.
    They were designed to be 150 # lighter than a 350 , yet still feel like one. The siamesed port heads and single plane intake were used to speed up the flow at lower rpm's.
    I had a a 19xx 3700 lb. Bonneville, 301, 2 bbl, with 2.56 posi, and it drove fine. No hot rod or muscle car, but this was the era of choked down , lean sh*t.
    The 55 287 2 bbl was no rocket ship either.

22. I had a 301 in my old 55 wagon. Would have kicked ass on the original 287. 55WAGON.jpg

23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I had a 79 Buick Regal Wagon for a while (Malibu platform) that had a 301 Pontiac 2 barrel engine in it (???-why did GM do all these odd corporate mixes?-Olds 260, Chevrolet 267, Pontiac 265/301). I took it to the BOP Drags at Bremerton Raceway one year; I was the slowest car there that day. Same bore and stroke as a 302 SBC, but no where near the performance of one. Everything was designed to be light weight; spindly little crank, no way to build one up as there are no aftermarket parts. It was a good car, just under-powered. I sold it before I could find a 350 Pontiac engine for it. Car had air conditioning, and when the compressor engaged, it seriously overloaded the engine. Bought it from a little old lady; it had been her husbands car, and he took good care of it. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang likes this.
  24. 4Birdman

4Birdman

Been talking with a few of the SEGA guys, they've been helping me out. Great group of guys.

Very cool!

My engine builder seems to have a way. I'll let him take care of it. LOL

Ron Pope once called me an idiot and told me to learn how to weld. I asked him about a t-bucket chassis I bought that was cut at bad angles and couldn't be used without recutting it. Wanted to see if I could exchange it. He won't be getting my business.

25. catdad49

catdad49

Oops!^^Sorry about the Bad experience, I know that more than a few run his front axle without any issues.

loudbang likes this.
  26. 4Birdman

4Birdman

Yeah, I've heard he makes a pretty good kit. I just tend not to do business with people who call me an idiot no matter how good their stuff is. LOL

27. catdad49

catdad49

Understand That! When you're in business, everyone is a potential customer. Always Loved Pontiacs, so I'll be watching.

loudbang likes this.
  28. 4Birdman

4Birdman

So I scored a 64 F100 front axle for a really good deal. Complete with steering, springs, everything drum to drum.

I really need to finish this Suburban to get this in the shop!

loudbang likes this.
  29. 4Birdman

4Birdman

Axle is here! F100 axle with all the accessories. Ready to start chopping.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  30. glrbird

glrbird

You could lighten it while you wait to start your build. holes and grinding smooth could save a lot of time later.

loudbang likes this.