Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 oldsmobile restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cobalt333, Jul 29, 2013.

1. shadams

shadams

I also have the siphon feed gun, works good. The wire brush on a drill sucks, doesnt have the horsepower or speed. You can get grinders cheap, just make sure the wire wheels are rated for the rpm of the grinder, or you will end up looking like you got attacked by a porcupine....one of those wires in the eye would suck...

2. Where do you get your sand? I was buying garnet blast sand from tractor supply and it sure doesn't last long and can get pricey fast.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. I live in st. george utah...desert land...i just go down to the local sand dune and grab a few 5 gallon buckets:D but the best ive found is down by the river

Attached Files:

• sand.jpg
      sand.jpg
      File size:
      137.6 KB
      Views:
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Wow! Now, here's a man that has applied positive, creative thinking throughout his thread.
    ...And he gets his sand from Divine Providence! I salute you, sir! Pure genius...

About those angle grinders: A friend of mine had 3 of those, different makes, all 4" angle types...all "burned out". He asked if I wanted 'em...(I was at his shop wiring his '40 sedan)

I took the old grinders home, they sat in a box under my frame jig 'til I moved the operation out back to my new shop.
    I took the grinders apart, replaced the brushes in two, soldered a wire in one. Now I don't have to change pads, discs, or wire wheels on a job. Just pick up another grinder.
    Oh, when I took the brushes out, I matched them up with generic replacement brushes from McMaster-Carr's online catalog. CHEAP!

5. BenJammin

BenJammin

Best tip i've heard yet! :)

6. if you do get sand like i do...just remember to pop a screen off your house window and filter the sand through it..no clogs in the gun that way:D

Attached Files:

7. BenJammin

BenJammin

Gotta keep the critters out!

8. Mr. 360

Mr. 360

I once found some bits of a '53 88 on my parents farm in the car-pile. Lots of old chunks of cars in there, as a previous owner wanted to run a salvage yard. I'd love to see this 53 in mint shape, would be a fun ride.

[​IMG]

Your rig is looking great, I'm sure you'll get lots of looks on the road when you're finished. Keep up the great work!

9. shadams

shadams

I bought and used "play sand" at home depot. It says on the bag not to use for sandblasting, but it worked great and was already screened, although I still ran it through a piece of screen because there were a few pebbles in it. I also used a respirator and goggles, if you hit something just right and eye full of sand is possible. Obviously I wouldnt use that stuff if I was running an operation, but for little bits of blasting with the right precautions....

10. AndersF

AndersF

When i sandblasting i do it outside and roll out something i can
    use as a big mat on the ground. When the sand is out i just lift
    the cornes and collect the sand in the middle. Then i filter it and can reuse it.
    Some sand dissaper but it last much longer.

11. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

I've done the play sand from Lows for years, i get the stuff that inside the store it's at least dry;)

12. Clik

Clik

Don't breathe sand dust! Bad news. Don't breathe old paint dust either.

13. BenJammin

BenJammin

I need more inspiration! Any updates? :)

14. yep...but first i would like to give a big shout out to MIKE (1954rocket98) here on the HAMB...he helped me out by sending me 2 upper bump stops for my window and a knob for my vent window latch...alllll for just shipping....very thankful for truley nice people like him...thankyou Mike

15. been working on my front 2 windows and the vent windows and alllll the door latches and pulls and mechs...ive installed new glass in the frames and velcro in the channels...i still have to fine tune the windows so they go up smoother..but im guessing the pops and groans and grind sounds are something i will have to except..till one day i get new mechs..that tension spring is all pitted and makes alot of noise when tension is released....heres some pics and one what they both looked like before...now alllll clean and nice

Attached Files:

16. i also came up with a cheap sound deadning for my front doors...i went to walmart and bought a 3 dollar thick rubber mat and contact cemented on the inside doors...i probibly gonna get one more too...the first one made night and day difference...took alot of the echo out

Attached Files:

• mat1.jpg
      mat1.jpg
      File size:
      288.3 KB
      Views:
    • mat2.jpg
      mat2.jpg
      File size:
      266.1 KB
      Views:
  17. then i went and got another gallon of henrys asphalt emulsion from home depot for 13 bucks and coated my whole interior floors with it...i was able to build it up...it feels like a rubber liner in there now...wont rust out ever again...water cant even get to paint or metal now i even threw some in my doors

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  18. now im ripping apart alll the back door mechs and gonna replace the glass.....its gonna be intresting...lots of photos and leaving one door intact for reference...ps that last pic of the clip retainer was intresting to try to release....but i did it...

Attached Files:

19. annnd after i get the back door windows and mechs done im gonna work on the hinges...another new territory:eek:

Attached Files:

• h.jpg
      h.jpg
      File size:
      291 KB
      Views:
    • h2.jpg
      h2.jpg
      File size:
      297.3 KB
      Views:
  20. BenJammin

BenJammin

I got started again on my car:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=863710

I decided that i'm going to go get some of that coating like you used. I was not impressed with my POR15. After about 2 weeks of letting it cure, i put those seats with the seat brackets in and managed to scratch the POR15 off. weak.

Quick questions:
    1. Are you going to replace the seam sealer or just leave it all coated?
    2. How did you remove that nasty tar paper sound deadener from the trunk and roof? (i made a mess with mine)
    3. How are the window frames attached to the glass? I'm going to be doing mine this spring

Keep up the good work! :)

21. the windows were fixxed in place with that chrome strip you see wedged in on the inside of the window thats all i could see that did it with the rubber seal that was in the chrome window track...i busted my window out and then being i was cheap or in other words dont have the money...i just took some of the vinyl im doing my door pannels with and cut strips to go in the channel then put the glass and chrome strip in..and too be extra good i took black silcon caulk and went around it..i figure it helps hold it in and stops the water getting in the chrome track...i noticed that water got in over the years and rusted it good in places

22. and as far as the seam sealer..i took all mine out when i did the tub area...then i just coated that stuff from home depot on there thick..you can build that stuff up in layers...im sure its not exactly like the original stuff ...but it will do for me...and i like you had my paint scratch off in areas...(i know its poor prep being i didnt get all the wax and grease removed) but when i painted this stuff over it ..it was solid..and waterproof...and as far as the sound deadner that was already there..i havent pulled my headliner off yet...and my front doors were missing it...and the backdoors i just plan to go over it with the home depot stuff..they are in fairly good shape as my trunk one is

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  23. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Late to the party - how was your front crossmember? Many '56 Olds had problems with it cracking inside of where the upper control arms attach.

24. are you talking about where the upper control arm comes to a v like in a wish bone?..because i did have a crack there i welded shut...

25. being i never was on this site much from the beginning..im gonna post where i have been...heres my front end fun about 2 years ago

Attached Files:

26. more

Attached Files:

27. moooore

Attached Files:

28. and yet more

Attached Files:

29. yep

Attached Files:

30. more pic down memory lane...2 years ago

Attached Files: