Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Mercury Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kage, May 18, 2011.

1. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

This weekend I managed to get the inner fenders and parts painted, the dash in primer, the rest of the roof in primer, started body work on the hood and drivers side quarter, finished notching the frame(I still need to box it in), and started the 2nd log of my dual log intake. After buying all the supplies I thought I would need I ran out of welding wire for my mig...damn the luck. I have already went over my budget this paycheck on supplies so I will have to wait until next payday to get the wire.I also started custom work on my steering wheel. I hope you guys enjoy the pics.

Attached Files:

2. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I also started cleaning underneath the car. I scraped off about 5lbs of dirt and oil sludge. I am glad I crawled underneath the car...I found 3 small spots that will need repaired.

Attached Files:

3. savannahDan

savannahDan

looks good man, you're working fast!

4. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Thanks Dan. I try to put in at least a couple of hours of work everyday after work and almost my whole weekend is devoted to the car.....unless I have other issues to take care of. I think I'm making great progress considering I'm a one man show with limited tools. lol I do the best I can with what I have to work with.

5. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Been following this, great job so far. Like you i try and do 2 hours work, even if its just planning and staring at things and keeping the place tidy. Find the tidy bit really helps, can't stand tripping over stuff. Good luck!!

Regards Dan

6. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

The "Tidy" part is something I really need to work on..lol. I have shit laying every where right now.

But I do the same thing...if I don't do any real work to the car I am standing out there staring at her thinking and planing, walking around her with a tape measure making notes about this and that.

7. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Think the looking, thinking, dreaming and hoping part is all just as important. I just have to remember not to have too many cold ones whilst i'm doing as the tools don't get used. Kage keep up your good work and have a cold one for me!!!

8. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

The Hood is just about ready for primer. The drivers side quarter is going to take a lot longer than I had planned on. On the bright side I managed to scrape together enough money to get a small spool of welding wire. Should be enough to finish the intake and do all of the patch panels. I get off work a little early today...I will try to get the hood in primer and started on the patch panels.

9. great build keep it coming. harbor freight has disks that are identical but they are black they work just as well and are half the price.little f.w.i.

10. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I got all the patches for the body welded in...all that's left is the firewall and floor. I also got the hood in primer and put another coat on the drivers door (after I wet sanded it 1st). I have a 4 day weekend and thought I was going to get to spend almost all of it working on my Merc but unfortunately I have to put the girl on hold for the weekend and make a trip to TN and spend some time with my actual girlfriend. Im kind of in the dog house right now because I've not went up to see her in a little over a month. I will try to sneak back to get some work done on the car on Monday. On the plus side this gives me a chance to try and do a little trading with an older gentleman back home...he doesn't sell any thing but he likes to trade.

11. 56longroof

56longroof

Bad ass car.That is going to be one sweet ride.I also love your choice for the engine,cant go wrong with a y under the hood!

12. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Thanks for the compliment...one of the things I love about this car is that its a 2dr post car...all the 55 and 56 Merc's you see are hard top cars. Im kicking around the idea of shaving off the drip rails right now. Im also going to go back and radius the doors..and maybes the hood too.

I was going to run a continental kit on this car but at the moment im thinking about extending the quarter panels instead.

13. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Change of plans....looks like I will be staying home this weekend. So I will be able to get plenty of work done on the Merc. Ill post pics Tuesday when I go back to work.

14. Arieldouglas

Arieldouglas

Kool job Kage! I've tried to talk myself into shaving off my drip rails but I can't quite go there. Whatever, I think you're going to have a great ride!!

15. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Well...last night I took the plunge and shaved off my drip rail...im glad I did it. It really cleaned up the lines of the car. But I must say the 1000 spot welds are a pain in the ass.

16. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I didn't get as much done on the car this weekend as I would have liked to due to a couple of reasons. I went to a car show Saturday, Sunday I hung out with some local hot rodders and Monday it rained all day. Can't do much body work with that much moisture in the air.

Here is what I did manage to get done. patches welded in, most of my drip rail shaved welded and filled. reprimered the hood and drivers door.

One of my buddies has this cool steering wheel off of a boat. that thing would look great in my car. He wants to hold on to his so I have to go find one.

Attached Files:

17. Lookin pretty damn good I must say!! I should be able to jump on my 56 in the next 3-4 weeks.

18. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

thanks for the kind words. I'm looking forward to seeing some more work done to your 56.
    As soon as I finish the roof and drivers side quarter panel I am going to go back and radius the doors....I plan on doing all 4 corners of the door.

19. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I know a couple of people have asked who did the chop on my Merc. The guy I bought the car from said Jeff Dodge out of San Diego did it.

20. Smokey2

Smokey2

Dear Low & Slow,
    Wonderin' bout the glass myself..........Looks Kool as Hades,
    Anyone have info on Using WaterJet to cut glass ????
    PM will be fine ! (we've already got one w/s trashed with caride disc/ water coolant. Sandblast ??

Goodluck, and KEEP US POSTED ON THE '55 ?, '56 Merc. :cool::cool:
    "Nobody knew I drank............'Til, they saw ME Sober one day ! " Smoked'

21. Sounds bitchin! Well we have some comp. Between us haha. I still throw around the idea of rounding off my doors and a subtle chop....but my car is supposed to be a 60s lowrider /custom. I dont think that fits the category?

22. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Well....im in TN for the weekend spending time with my GF. I took the opertunity to go and try to do some trading today while she was at work. I met this old man a few months back who had a lot of old ford parts. He said he doesn't sell anything but he likes to trade. So I loaded the truck up with parts and headed down to see him. I got there just to find out he was not interested in doing any trading today....im a little bummed out at this point but I continue to talk to the old man. Just before I leave I ask him if he knows of anyone else who has some old ford parts and cars. He mentions a guy just 3 miles down the road. So I say good by to the old man and head down to see this other gentlemen. He has several car but does not want to sell any of them or parts off of them. Now im getting really bummed out. Just before I leave he tells me of a guy right across the road on top of a hill who has a few mid 50's Merc's. I go across the street to this guys house. No one is home but there is a 61 Buick for sale in his yard with his cell number on it. I call the guy up and tell him what im looking for. He gives me permission to go around back and look at the cars. WOW...the guy didn't have a couple of merc's he had 5 of them. Plus a couple mid 50's fords. He said we can work out a deal for the parts I need....now I'm happy as can be. All the parts I need are right there in his back yard. Im so glad I didn't give up and go home.

23. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Can't beat that! Hopefully you can trade for what you need and don't have to hand over any cash.

24. Arieldouglas

Arieldouglas

Hey Kage, What part of TN? I'd like to know where this stash of Merc parts is.:D Unless you're planning to keep them to yourself.:) It's a long way from my house to either end of the state though, so it could be in TN and still be 200 miles from my place.:(

25. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I'm in southeast TN. The stash of Merc's is in north GA just out side of Chatsworth. I've been driving up and down that highway foe years and never new those cars where there. There on the back side of a hill. There is no way to see them from the road. I don't want to give the guys name or exact location out without his permission.

26. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I didn't get any work done on mine yesterday....I was busy hanging out with some guys and taring down a flathead....fun fun fun. I will be getting back to work on mine today. So there should be some pics coming in the next few days.

27. billys54

billys54

28. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

here is a quick update. I spent yesterday finishing up the roof and working on the passenger door. by tonight I should have the roof, passenger door and drivers quarter in primer. I have also cleaned up the firewall and after I weld in 2 small patch panels I will have it in primer as well. I will be working on the underside of the hood soon. while looking it over I noticed a crack in the support structure that I will have to weld up.

I have also included some pics of me and a couple of the guys at our buddies garage taring down a flathead and a couple of the projects he has going on.

Attached Files:

29. The car is coming along real well! Let me pay freight and I will have my car delivered to you so you can do the work. Haha

30. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

had trouble getting the pics to upload

Attached Files: