Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 International Harvester 4x4

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Demon_Jeff_71, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Demon_Jeff_71

Demon_Jeff_71

I am looking at buying a '56 international truck with the original l6 flathead in it. I have always been more of a muscle car guy but love old original trucks. I plan to restore it to original condition minus converting it to a 12v system. Can anyone help with where the best place for parts would be along with info on how to rebuild the flathead 6 that's in it. I have never torn down a flathead motor so I am looking for a book on how to do it if there is one.

Thanks for the help

Jeff

2. Beemer

Beemer

A '56 wouldn't have a flathead 6, should be like a 240ci OHV 6cyl. Rock Auto is a good place to start, not sure if they carry 4x4 parts, but thats where I've been buying parts for our '50 L-120 (no help on the original engine, I'm going with a 302).

3. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Class-Tech-Cars in Virginia has lots of hard to find stuff for older Internationals. I've used them for L Series parts and have been happy.
    What model truck do you have? While my experience is with the earlier L series trucks, I am surprised to hear your 56 has a flathead intead of an overhead valve engine since by this time International had been using them for several years. At least on the bigger trucks International was pretty good at allowing you to order any drivetrail combo you desired so if your truck came with the flathead I would assume it is one of the industrial makes perhaps a Continental.

4. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

5. binderfan

binderfan
    from bay area

Also check out oldihc.org

Most parts aren't as hard to find as people think, because International fans tend to collect things and you can find folks with about anything you want. Egge has motor parts for the OHV I'm certain, and maybe the flathead as well, but as stated above most of those trucks from that era have OHV so you may want to double check that.

6. TX63S80

TX63S80

Justinternationals.org is a great site with an "old truck" section

ihonlynorth.com has the best tech info