Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 hydramatic jetaway problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Window Licker, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Window Licker

Window Licker

After driving from Toledo OH to Dayton OH and parked the car for several hours. when i went to get back on the highway the tranny wouldn't leave first.

the tranny shifts fine into reverse and drive, just wont up shift.

on the way down to dayton it would make a stange noise during the short period of time between load and no load when leaving of the gas to coast.

about a month ago i had a u-joint fail leading to the drive shaft tearing in half then breaking breaking the tail housing.

I have a feeling that maybe the governor was damaged. everything appeared fine.

any help and suggestions will be appreciated.

2. Window Licker

Window Licker

anyone? its behind a 56 324 Oldsmobile Rocket

3. caddydave

caddydave

Do you have the shop manual for the transmission? from memory, there's a fairly detailed troubleshooting guide that lists specific items to check for each problem...i.e.. not shifting out of first. has the transmission ever been rebuilt?

Dave

4. Window Licker

Window Licker

i don't know wether or not its been be built i got it out of a vehicle my dad purchased.

if anyone has the shop manual and can check for the trouble process

thanks dave

5. caddydave

caddydave

I'll look to see if I can find mine, I havn't seen it since I moved, but I'll take a look, dave

6. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

sure sounds like the governor is mucked up.

7. Window Licker

Window Licker

I'll have to pull the tail housing and inspect it closer. Thanks for the input guys

8. jdejr78

jdejr78

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your hydramatic? I have a 54 Olds with the hydramatic that will only shift from first to second and that's it. Reverse still works. Trying to figure out where I need to start and any advice would be appreciated.