Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Ford "Canned Monster" Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lancer, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Could have something like this but they cost more than this whole engine will when it's done. :p;)

[​IMG]

2. Lancer

Lancer

Assembly of the short block for our Canned Monster begins.

Attached Files:

3. gonmad

gonmad

Looks like your builder needs to look at a Chiltons manual to see that the cam doesn't go there Lance!! LoL!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Lancer

Lancer

Thats funny, I'll pass that a long. He's just learning you know, its his first build.

5. gonmad

gonmad

You may have said earlier Lance, but what size cam is that? Those lobes is pretty peaky!!

6. It's a "Full Race" cam. ha ha :D

7. For those that must know the specs. .378" lift 258* dur @ .050 112* lobe separation 108* in 116* ex and the valves will be opened by 1.54 rockers.

8. .378" @ the cam (gross), comes out to a bit more than .560" at the valve once you account for valve lash, etc. right?

That is definitely gonna be a "Canned Monster"!

9. You are correct sir! Y-blocks like lift! ;)

10. gonmad

gonmad

I likes it!! That duration and spread will make that thing sound gnarly!!

11. Lancer

Lancer

Double roller timing set on and pistons are going in.

Attached Files:

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

AKA Ear Candy! With these cam specs how close are you to approaching maximum flow with the intake and valve configuration? From what I remember the stock cfm rating on the old Y blocks wasn't that great.

13. 225 cfm is a good number for the top port, a little less on the bottom. 7000 rpm with 292ci will not be a problem.

14. Many people are not aware that JE pistons, is the remnant of Jahns Engineering", the forged piston off shoot of the original Jahns sand cast piston company. The name Jahns Engineering was latter shorted to JE. The very first two forging dies (one big block Chevy, & one small block Chevy) owned by Ross Racing Pistons, were old Jahns forgings. They were "bought" by the two owners of Ross, (Moe Mills & Ken Roble) on a hand shake, with a Mr. Brandene, who at the time owned Jahns. He told Moe & Ken to pay him when the could (they did). They bought the dies, and changed the name in them to Ross. Most all of the forged piston companies in the states today, can trace their roots to Jahns.

15. Back in the 50's & 60's I had a 301 chevy with Jahns & a 060. over 312 Ford with Jahns & never had a piston issue... Had rod issues....

16. Lancer

Lancer

More engine assembly pics. Tim can chime in on the specs for the heads.

Attached Files:

17. gonmad

gonmad

Wow, don't know what those heads look like stock, but they sure look good now!!

18. Lancer

Lancer

These are far from stock. Machined out to hold massive valves now.

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hey Lancer, I think this photoshop covers your ideas overall. Couldn't figure out how to do gold flake accents though. Eli
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  20. gonmad

gonmad

I knew they were hogged, but didn't know how "small" they were from the foundry. The flow looks really good!

21. Wicked!

Just found this thread and subscribing!

22. Lancer

Lancer

Concept art in progress.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  23. I'd buy the shirt

24. Just to be clear "hogged out" is not a good term, I know what you mean but bigger isn't always better. It's how it is made bigger that counts, a big straight cut "hogged" port/bowl will not flow as good as one that is cleaned up in the right areas and has a nice gentle radius. Not trying to come down on your comment but just want to make a point. :)

25. gonmad

gonmad

Yes I know, it's all good. That's why I mentioned the flow path also. I call most Nitrous systems NOS also, even tho that is a brand name. LoL. ;-)

26. Lancer

Lancer

Looking for a top loader for this bad boy. If anyone in the Nor Cal area has one, drop me a note.

27. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Ok, so I know the engine in good hands, but what about the front end. It's got to be a straight axle right?
    What's your plans? Seems like a tilt front or a lift off is in order too. I love spending other peoples time and money!

28. Lancer

Lancer

Straight axle is in the works. Tilt front is also in the works. First up though is getting the rear mounted up. Will be addressing that soon. Pics to come as it progresses. We've made a decision on the paint scheme and the rendering will be updated to reflect that. Pics to come when that is further along, hopefully soon.

29. FABRK8R

FABRK8R

Lookin' good bro, will donate a shift knob when you are ready.

30. Lancer

Lancer

Concept/Tshirt artwork

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.