Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Ford "Canned Monster" Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lancer, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Lancer

Lancer

57Custom300 thats great to hear. Can't wait to get this one put together and DRIVE it.

2. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Didn't realize Y blocks head bolts are so nice and far away from the bores. I think that is a nice detail for a little better ring seal without use of deck plates, although honing with deck plates is always recommended.

3. That is definitly one of many good qualities of the Y-Block. Although I do hone with deck plates on my race engines they do not distort like the sbc does.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  4. Doing some balance work on the crank today. ;)

5. Lancer

Lancer

Few pics of the balancing going on today with the crank. Dialing it in. Tim can explain more in detail.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpeg
      3.jpeg
      File size:
      240.9 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpeg
      1.jpeg
      File size:
      205.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpeg
      2.jpeg
      File size:
      211.6 KB
      Views:
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

Tim does know his way around a Y block.

7. Diggin that engine already...im sure it'll sound sweet!!

8. Not much to explain, or too much to explain if you really want to know. I will say this though, most engines I balance that are from the '50s or '60s
    are pretty close to begin with (of course there is some adjustment for aftermarket pistons) but all in all the big three did a fairly good job back then. '70s, not so much. :rolleyes:

9. mechanic58

mechanic58

mctim64 - I could listen to you row through the gears with your y-block all day long. I love the sound it makes.

10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Love the sound of that Y-block! Tim I remember when you first posted this video, I think I watched it 5 or 6 times in a row. lol Btw, what ever happened to that motor?

11. Redlighting

Redlighting
    from Tn

12. It's sitting in the shop, I'll use it for something one day although it has a bit too high compression for pump gas. Might end up in the dragster someday. Never know. :rolleyes:

13. Tim mentioned this build to me the other day. Very nice! Will follow along.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Lancer

Lancer

Since I'm new to these Y-Blocks I could use some suggestions for transmission set ups. The car will be manual and runs at very high RPMs. I have a Lakewood scatter shield for a Chevy. Is there anything like that for a Y-Block? Should I adapt the Lakewood housing to the Y-Block and use a Muncie or Borg Warner trans?? That also leaves the flywheels and starter to deal with as well. What are your thoughts?

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Have you checked out Y-Blocksforever.com? I've no doubt Mr. Mummert can help you out. He's the "Go To" guy for these old motors.
    As for your high rpms, are you going to add anything to the bottom end to help out? I know the block shrouds the crank and mains, just wondering if you're going to use a girdle etc.

16. yblocker

yblocker
    from Layton Ut

4 speed top loader ! Rug input shaft, should be able to hold up.

idtoy likes this.
  17. Lancer

Lancer

Rug input shaft. Please explain. Also what about a scatter shield?

18. yblocker

yblocker
    from Layton Ut

Lancer,
    Rugs are the FE version of the top loader. They featured a larger diameter input shaft the"nub on the end is shorter. Doesn't require machining to fit into the pilot bearing.
    The HEH (what I have) is from a 302 with a ten inch clutch disk.
    The FE is an eleven inch.the heh is narrower in diameter but is an eighth of an inch too long. ( I simply used the angle grinder) another other mod I had to do was the collar on the snout of the transmission had to be turned down to fit in the y block passenger bellhousing. used the stock mechanical linkage, (which was kinda a bitch to track down.) And works good.so fat I have mocked it all up and have yet to find a Trans. mount
    Hope someone can chime in on this one. Try google search on David kee top loaders

the bolt pattern is usually spot on to the passenger bells.

great build very inspirational.
    Troy

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  19. PandorasBox99

PandorasBox99

Im watching this show good stuff to come I can smell it in the Air

20. Lancer

Lancer

We've finally named the car, "Canned Monster"

Attached Files:

21. luke13

luke13

ha har harrrr... i remember that episode of loony tunes,

22. Lancer

Lancer

On the stand, ready to start assembly soon.

Attached Files:

23. Quick time offers a Bell/scatter shield but I've heard of guys having nothing but problems. We just made our own out of 1/4" steel, two piece wrapped around a stock bell.
    [​IMG]

No need for a girdle, bottom end is pretty strong in a Y-Block. we will use ARP studs though.

24. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

brilliant!!!!:d

25. Lancer

Lancer

I'll need your help making one of those up.

Here is some concept art for the build.

Attached Files:

26. Lancer

Lancer

Another progress pic as we work out the design. I'm looking for some color ideas for the car. Right now I'm thinking cream for the main body color and some flake gold for an accent color. Shoot me some ideas.

Attached Files:

27. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Man those Jahns sure are vintage 60's pieces! Been a long time since I have seen that technology in a race piston. Now days we would have gone with a longer rod to move the pin up while lightening the piston at the same time and gone with a metric ring pack to reduce the drag but for your gasser they are exactly what you want... and the price was right ;-)

28. Lancer

Lancer

Agree 100%

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

If you have a good side or angled perspective photo of the car with the front clip on I'm sure I can put something together using Photoshop.