Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 caddy 365 ignition trouble

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kzeliminator, May 9, 2011.

1. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

howdy all, strarting from the beginning, I started with a great running motor

replaced cap,rotor and dizzy condensor.

stopped running(no spark)

said screw it, coil was what looked like original, replaced it along with the ballast resistor(no spark still)

messed around for a few days trying to figure it out, gap wasnt set right at the points(.016)

now I have spark!!! awsome, still no running car

firing order should be 18436572 going counterclockwise on the dizzy correct?

Ive gone around the whole cap in all positions regardless of tdc

even going around clockwise in all positions

what the hell am i missing here.....im gonna lose it

could the points still be far enough off that itll have spark but wont run in the correct position?

I love this place any help would be apprciated
    thanks in advance for any response

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

A couple things---try another condenser. It wouldn't be the first time I saw a defective condenser out of the box. Also, after days of cranking it over in a vain attempt to start it, the plugs could all be fouled.

3. CCW on the distibutor rotation, and you have firing order correct. Point gap of .016", you have and that's a dwell of 26-33. Match your old cap and rotor with the new ones if you can. You mentioned spark, is that at the points or the plugs? Check for spark at the PLUGS. Then like heathen stated, check all your plugs, very easy to foul if youve been agressively trying to start her. You didnt mention plug wires, very easy to damage a old wire when removing them.

4. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

wow, thanks for the quick responses

I have spark at the plugs, sorry didnt mention that, would I still have spark if the condensor was bad?

5. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

If you have spark at the plugs the car should start unless you have your plugs wires on the wrong cylinders.... and, you might need to make sure your spark plug gap is set at .35

6. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

front to rear: Right bank 2-4-6-8, left bank 1-3-5-7

7. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

checked gap, went through the plug locations again, everything is in the right spot

the damn thing just backfires through the carb, I think the draft tube and the exhaust

This thing should be running

thank you for the help so far, ill get new plug wires and see if anything changes

thats the only thing i havent replaced

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If it backfires through the carb, it's firing with an intake valve open. Take the cap off of the distributor, put a piece of plastic between the points, pull #1 plug, hold your thumb over the hole, watch the rotor as you crank the engine over. It should point to #1 plug wire position on the cap when compression pushes your thumb out of the hole.

9. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Did you have the dist out?
    Has this motor sat for a long time?
    Also cad motors when they sit the lifters bleed down alot and are slow to oil up.
    Could also have sticking valves that may take some time to free up and close all the way.
    Also use starting fluid instead of dumping gas in or you could wash the rings out.

10. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

I will try that engine man, didn't have the distributor out

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

11. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

The motor did sit, but before I messed with the ignition, ran great, I will use starting fluid instead of gas from now on, thanks guys

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

12. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

Its alive thank you guys so much, I really appriciate the help

13. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

14. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

There it is....glad you got it worked out

15. AWESOME, keep her between the ditches :D { that's never been said before, I uh just made that up }

16. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

what did you have to do to get it going ?

17. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

make sure tdc was correct with #1 and the rotor, make sure the gap was set at .016 to get it to start, then adjust from there, remove the radio suppressor and bypass the ballast resistor for now, basically.....tweak tweak tweak, bam its alive