Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1956 Buicks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53vicky, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Hey HAMBers,

I started a thread like this awhile ago about 56 olds's and it was very informative and I really did learn a lot and i think others liked it too.

Now I have another interest in buicks. But for all you guys that know a lot about 56 buicks, give me some info.

What were the models offered? engines put in what cars? etc etc etc.

Would like to know all the info I can about them!

Thanks

Luke

2. anyone? anyone?

3. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Models: Special, Super, Century, Roadmaster.
    Engine: 322ci Nailhead. (I believe.)

I'm more of a '57 guy, but I have a article about Buicks... I'll have to see if I can find it.

4. cool thanks!

5. Century

Century

322 was the only engine.

Roadmasters (70 series) and Supers (50) are "big bodies". Specials (40) and Centurys (60) are "small bodys".

All had enclosed torque tube drive lines. Some came with a 3 speed stick, but most were Dynaflows (2 speed automatics that start in 2nd, never shift).

EDIT, 264s ended in '55.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  6. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

It was the last year for the 322. None of the window trim is the same model to model. Don't ask how I know. They ride great. But I am biased.

7. haha cool. what do you mean by 40, 50, 60, 70 series? is there a big difference between like lengths of the cars or anything?

8. Century

Century

70 - Roadmaster
    60 - Century
    50 - Super
    40 - Special

There is a difference in width (70s and 50s being wider), not sure about length. Height as well, if I'm not mistaken. 40 and 60 are similar, 50 and 70 are similar. The interiors are different (door panels and seats) across all models. Take a look at some pictures and you'll see plenty of differences.

9. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

In '57 the Super/Roadmaster are longer than the Special/Century. I would assume it would be the same for '56, but not positive.