Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1956 Buick 322 Nailhead Ignition Parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beemon, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Beemon

Beemon

I'd like to start out by saying that my engine is now a little over a year old since rebuild. Before running, I had the distributor rebuilt by a local shop that still used the old distributor testers. The guy running the place talked up the Pertronix kit and we had it installed. The car ran OK but we were also running the generator and every time the ammeter pinged to C or D, the car would idle hunt and surge. I came to find out later that electronic ignition modules and generators do not mix very well. Instead of replacing the generator/voltage regulator, I removed the Pertronix and went with point/condenser from NAPA (Echlin).

This is where I'm now having trouble, because I have a really nasty hesitation off idle. Carburetor has been rebuilt, accel pump is working, car runs great cruising. Dwell is set at 29*, Pertronix coil was replaced with an OEM coil from NAPA through the ballast resistor. I had bought 7mm wires for the Pertronix that are still in use. Spark plugs are AC R43S. I did develop a vacuum leak in the vacuum advance recently, but it's been disconnected and the issue has persisted since before that issue.

I'm trying to narrow down the cause of hesitation. The 4GC has always had one, even with the Pertronix, but this is idle killing at red lights type of hesitation now. Would the vacuum advance really cause this much grief?

Parts are all from NAPA.
    Condenser: RR174
    Coil: IC12
    Resistor: ICR13
    Cap: RR158
    Rotor: RR159
    Spark Plug: R43S

I am at wits end here. Is this the case of Chinese junk? The only thing that's changed in the system is the switch from the Pertronix to point/condenser since the vacuum advance stopped working before the switch. I'm a novice when it comes to ignition systems, so any help or diagnostic technique is greatly appreciated!