Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Pontiac Star Chief

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Redbows35panel, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Not a chain on the wipers. There is a square piece on the motor that fits into a slotted piece on the wiper pulley. Just had to do some bending on the motor mount to get a good fit. Seems to work as it should except for reattaching the cables. I had taken them loose from the pulley and couldn't figure how to get them back on. Found a great article on the net how to do it. But it takes two people to do it unless you have 6' arms. Seems as tho you remove the blades arms and depress the knob. That releases the spring loaded pulley on the bottom of the stansion. As the knob is pressed you pull the cables. That gives you the slack to hook them back up. Then you press the knob again and the spring retracts and tightens the cables back up. Like I say two people or 6" arms.

2. sc2lane

sc2lane

Parts are tough, but hang in there. Someone swiped one of my headlight bezels, and I'm hunting a replacement. If it were a tri-five...

Mine's all Pontiac - 287 4 barrel, Hydromatic. I have my days when I wish for a SBC.

Attached Files:

3. flypa38

flypa38

If you haven't seen it check out http://www.pontiacsafari.com and the pontiac-1950's Yahoo group.......some knowledgeable guys on there.
    Regarding the headlight switch, CPR (as mentioned above) has a universal one for under $20 if the headlights do go out again. Good temporary fix till you can find a decent replacement.

4. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

I like your 55 Pontiac nice find

5. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Think I need to lower the front end 2". J\Just want it to sit more level. No it's not got blocks on the rear it just seems to sit to high in front. With those big ole G78-15s there is about 2-3 inches of clearance between the top of the tire and the fender lip. Anyone make a drop spindle? Or do I just cut the springs? Like to have a set of reasonable priced mag wheels and radial tires. These bias jobs are rough, squirly, and loud. Man this a beautiful car, now it just needs to be made into a comfortable CRUISER.:eek:

6. sc2lane

sc2lane

FatMan Fab in Charlotte makes dropped front uprights for the '55. Mine fit like a dream. Good excuse to convert to front discs too.

7. 55yak

55yak

I'm not familiar with Ron Francis. I need a new turn signal switch for my 55 too and having trouble finding one. Is he a Pontiac parts supplier? Would appreciate info.

Thanks,
    John

8. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

hey fellas, i just picked up a 1955 chieftain i really enjoy. and a fresh 24 year old 287 a couple did but decided to give me the car

9. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

It's got some rot on the dog legs, floor boards and rockers, I got new inside and out rockers for it already but I got it road worthy now and I am loving leaving it stock and cruising in her. Named her sandy, that's the name of the gal that gave me the car [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

new
    stainless brake lines, brakes, white walls, steering wheel, tail lights, finally found fenders and bezels for the headlights, brand new carter 2barrel, old school under the hood light reel and clear glass lens trunk light with reel, she just had the motor 180 out and all the wires on wrong. she puurrrrrrrrrs boys. oh yea new exhaust, 1-3/4 start, 2.5 to finish, getting a borla muffler on her for a nice deep tone, nothing too crazy. handles like a boat but i kinda dig it. im gonna get new springs and leafs. think im gonna bring her down 2" for just a better stance. but other than that im gonna try to "shittaly" blend the front fenders to black, not sure how im gonna do it but id like it to match somewhat but keep that patina old pulled out of the pasture look. one of my favorites in my collection by far!