Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Olds/Pontiac rearend parts? Interchangeability? Please?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xadamx, Mar 29, 2010.

1. xadamx

xadamx

OK, so after posting years ago and doing an extensive search that yielded many points-of-view and various reliable info, I think the definitive answer is the 516744 rear is a 1955 unit and it was cast on May 22, 1955. I have a couple further questions, hope someone can help:

-Where can I get bearings, seals, brake parts, etc. for this rearend?
    -What other years does this interchange with?

I've found the later rears are easier to get info on, and parts as well. Thanks in advance, and sorry for my ignorance!

2. xadamx

xadamx

I think NAPA probably has what I need, just seeing if there was another resource...

3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

There's a huge thread here someplace that's full of Olds/Pontiac rear end information. For parts, one good source is Brad Duerst at Fabcraft in Texas. http://www.fabcraftmetalworks.com/

4. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Autozone for Brake Parts, Lifetime Shoes for around 35.00, Napa has none.
    Bearings I got last summer from Berry Bearing, came with seals, a buddy who works at BP found them for me through his contact at Berry. I think they were 50.00 each.
    I cut my own brake backing plate to housing gaskets, the Center Section Gasket, and brake drum to axle spacer gaskets out of Manilla Folder and thin cardboard on my vinyl cutter.
    If you cant find them, I can cut them for you.
    The Pinion Seal was not available through any parts store that I found locally, we ended up pulling the spring from the inside and shortened it so that the leather seal would hug the pinion again. It leaks a bit, but atleast Im driving.
    Ive got a 56 Pontiac, rear was cast in late 55.

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Brad is a great resource and a source of great parts. NAPA usually works for me.

6. xadamx

xadamx

I did see that huge thread, it's where I finally found out it's a '55. Not a lot of info on the earlier rears though. As for Fabcraft, I found them on eBay earlier today and sent him a message seeing if they had earlier stuff, they only have late 50's and later stuff on their eBay store. Hopefully he can help me out. I'm going to check NAPA in the morning for brake and bearing stuff. Thanks for all the help so far!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  7. flatoz

flatoz

I got bearings and seal and brake shoes etc from Dmarv. He has 'Exeter Auto Supply' he got them, boxed them up and sent them to me in Australia. So considering he's happy to deal with someone 10,000 mi away I think he might be able to help you out too.

Hes an alliance vendor and a Hot rodder and a good guy, so I give him a vote.