Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Mercury Monterey w/ factory A/C - how rare?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobuckets, Sep 7, 2010.

1. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

I'm thinking about getting rid of my '55 merc, as it has sat in my parents garage for 4 years due to other projects. It is the first year for A/C in the Mercury's and I looked for it for a while before finding it. I don't think I will ever restore it or use the A/C in a restoration, thus the moving on.

As I'm trying to sell it, I'm getting feedback that it is rare and I'm wondering if I have it priced right and if I will see one of these again. I guess I'm just looking for folks that have a Merc with factory A/C from this era or some idea of how rare a set-up like this is... I don't want to get rid of it until I'm absolutely sure I will never use it.

Here's some photos -

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_2" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="640"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20">[​IMG]</td><td class="td2">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600.</td></tr></tbody></table>[​IMG]

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_1" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="640"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20">[​IMG]</td><td class="td2">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600.</td></tr></tbody></table>[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_3" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="640"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20">[​IMG]</td><td class="td2">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600.</td></tr></tbody></table>[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Ken

2. It is probably somewhat rare, but the 4 door body style kills most of that , and the car looks a little stressed, so , in my opinion , I would not give that much for it, say tops a grand, don't get to attached to it , the last 50's car the brought a bundle with air was Howard Hughes personal car , forgot what it sold for , it was pretty nice and he paid his engineers to build and install the AC,,,,,sam

3. Moondog13

Moondog13

I don't know how rare this is, but it's pretty awesome. If it's a first year for A/C, regardless of it being a 4 door (which I am personally partial to, hell I'd buy it from you if I had the dough!) I'm sure that a collector out there would be more than willing to give you some decent cash for it, especially if there is someone looking for it. You never know right? My other suggestion is to hold on to it for a while longer till the economy comes back up and then sell it. It's been sitting for 4 years, what's another couple more? :D

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

A guy I know has a 55 Ford 2-door with air(factory), first year. He was looking for a radiator, called a major parts house for Ford parts, The owner of the place wanted to buy the car over the phone for the fact that the car had air.

5. sideshowrob

sideshowrob
    from australia

i've got a 55 lincoln, thats got the same setup by the looks of it..

6. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

Thanks for the input guys, it's tough for me to get rid of the toys, I am more of a hoarder than a seller.
    Moondog - you make a good point about the economy... the only reason is my folks are getting a little itchy to get the thing out of the garage and have been for a year or so.
    Stanlow - I might call around a little more to see what the interest is at the parts suppliers.