Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Cadillac build...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40StudeDude, Apr 10, 2008.

1. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

The Coop DeVille Caddy build…in several installments. This is Number One

Now that the KIRK!! Jones/Gambino Grime ‘60 Ford paint job is out of the way, :D:D I thot I’d place a post about my Caddy…:rolleyes: not near as cool (at this point), but it will be...

A few of you have asked about my CoopDeVille build…and what’s taking me so long??? Well, OK, here’s the project, from the beginning, to lighting the engine, to taking it around the blok.

This build started in July, ’05, I bought someone else’s (unfinished) project. Yeah, I know, I’ve heard it all before -- “NEVER buy someone else’s half-baked project.”…but, I’ve built enuff cars to know what I was getting into, I looked it over well, struck a deal and laid out my cash.

So… instead of “tell,” I using that old writer’s admonishment: “SHOW, don’t tell.” Let’s go….

[​IMG]

The Caddy is a 1955 Coupe DeVille, complete with a 500 incher (used-not overhauled, was told it “had good oil pressure.” “Uhmmmmm, OK, I hope you’re not shitting me, but I really have no way of knowing.” A Turbo 400 tranny was attached to the engine and both simply “placed” in the engine bay (not bolted down). As part of the deal, I got almost enuff parts to build two cars …the Caddy also has power windows and power seat.

Someone needed to save it…and since we’d “built” my brother a 1954 Caddy hardtop…and were familiar enuff with them, it fell to me…why not do another? Could be fun.

Now, to put this in a bit of perspective…. As of March 19th, 2008 -- two years, nine months after I brought it home, at 2:50 PM in the afternoon, the engine was finally fired off and runs well, sounds healthy (AND has great oil pressure…!!!) and the tranny works …not bad for an engine, tranny and carb that has been sitting in my garage for well over three years.

[​IMG]

This then, is the ‘saga’ of how I built my Cadillac…and WHY it’s taken this long. This is simply my way and done in my back yard garage with only my bro, Dan, helping.

First thing is/was, I’d been working on my ’48 Caddy Sedanet…I’d had it blasted and was working on mounting a new non-stock gas tank when this ’55 fell into my lap…I took time out from doing that to go take a look at it. And I kinda figured my bro’s ’54 Caddy needed a “running mate,” …how hard could it be to put this ’55 back together…??? We were about to find out…

Well, like anything else…it takes longer than you think…no matter how much you hurry…and hurrying ends up making you do things twice…or even three times until you’re satisfied with what you’ve done…or it’s correct.

When we got the ‘55 home and unloaded from the trailer, we put the ’48 into ‘sleep mode’ for a while, rolled it into safe-keeping in the dry shed and put the ’55 in the big garage…then we pulled the body off the frame…

[​IMG]

The ’55 Caddy is an original ColoRODo car…so, no rust…then we set about scoping out the ’78 Trans Am sub that was only mig welded, full of burn holes and crappy piled up shit welds that wouldn’t hold anything together at 70 mph…!!! It was mounted into the original frame at the firewall. We pulled the engine and tranny out and set it off to the side…first things first, ya know…we’ll deal with that later. Before we go farther, please don’t give me any crap about putting the body up on cinder blox…they hold up a two (or more) story building just fine and they stack them higher then I ever will, they’ll work for holding up a Caddy body. Besides, no one is putting any down force on the blocks and the body certainly isn’t moving around, and, BTW, that body didn’t “bend” in the middle either, because of no center support. And that was over two years ago…not one of those blocks cracked or broke.

A note here: when you don’t have every tool for every job, you make the best with what you’ve got…it worked.

[​IMG]

Once the engine and tranny was out, I borrowed a trailer again, hauled the whole thing up to a sandblaster and let them go at the 50 year old crud…once back, I cleaned up the frame graft, ground off some of the crap, mig welded up some spots to add a bit more strength to it and then cut 1/8” plate in order to fish-plate the two frames together…and then TIG welded all of it together I might add…

[​IMG]

I cleaned it all up nicely and then epoxy sealed it and sprayed it urethane gloss black.

[​IMG]

While the frame was drying, I decided to do the body… the bottom of the old Caddy body was relatively clean (old undercoating already finally falling off after all these years), so, wire brushed that, sanded a bit, sealed it with epoxy and sprayed Lizardskin…(best insulation in the world…!!!)…once that was done, I painted it all gloss black and proceeded to get ready to set it back on the frame.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's it for this installment...More in the next installment…

R-

2. The hard part is over....GETTING STARTED!!!!!! Keep the updates coming....

3. Mullda

Mullda

Looks great! Keep us updated.

4. 65Riviera

65Riviera

very cool start, looking forward to the progress....

5. Wildfire

Wildfire

Looking great - keep going, you're already ahead of me.

6. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This should be a good thread. I'm sure the Caddy will look good in a couple years! :)

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Very nice, Roger...what are the plans for the body...I know you've got some pretty radical cars!

8. ratt7

ratt7

Great start, Its certainly nice to find a car with no rust. Keep us updated, cant wait to see the car completed

9. I'm still jealous of your garage space.

10. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

That looks like a solid car, going to be nice!

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx C.O. ..plans are to keep this one a mild kustom...grille "improvement" (yes, it's hard to improve on the factory, but I think I can do it), nosing, decking, remove the door handles, maybe some shrouded Lakers, skirts, ww's, air bags...the usual kustom stuff...and maybe a few more body "tricks"...but no chopping...it's mighty hard to see the tops of the mountains around here when cruising the '57 Chevy...and I like to be able to see the tops of the mountains...!!!

R-

12. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can the Jetter Brothers do a mild kustom?? I bet it is hard to fight
    the natural urges. LOL!!

Being able to see the mountains through some of your difficult passes
    will be a blessing. Driving a chopped car in the mountains suck. Don't
    blame ya for not chopping the sled, she will have plenty of attitude.......
    After tearing the Merc down, I've learned the importance of undercoating.
    You have a kool imagination and I can not wait to see what your plans are
    for the grill. You guys are going to stop some traffic with all of the Colorado
    Caddys Cruzin down the interstate. It will be a sight see!! Keep up the good
    work and looking forward to future updates....

Does Dan ever not smile??

Happy Trails,

Mick

13. Damn Rodger its looking good. Wish my body was that solid. Looks like I'll be on a job in PA for about a year so not likely to get any progress on my sled any time soon. But I should make enough $ on this job so I can take some time off to do some much needed repairs/ Kustom touches. Nothing like driving a Kustom Caddy. See Ya Joe

14. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Now that is some big time truth in those words.

15. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

16. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i enjoy posts like this,,,that looks like a really solid car you started with,,,cant wait to see the rest of the build pics..

17. Hooligansince65

Hooligansince65
    from Chicago

I think it would look way more bitchin with 5 blocks under the body. Safety First....

18. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Couldn't get five blocks under it...I would've had to remove some wallboard and ceiling joists to get it higher..!! And THAT would've negated the safety factor all around...!!!

Mick, Dan doesn't smile when he sleeps...he snores...!!!

R-

19. Abomination

Abomination

Awesome!

Not sure, but what else other than cinder blocks could you have used?

~Jason

20. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

WoW that is awsome 40StudeDude. I didin know that you did it frame off. Very expensive. Well to me it is to do my caddy, with the little money i scronge up to get where its at. I painted the trunk lid today plan to do the rear fenders next week or weekend. Then all I have left is the doors and it will be one solid color finally. I just bought a 1974 Nova for a great deal couldnt pass it up. So my plans are to get the Nova looking better then what it is, because just say one with no knowledge about cars lost on, one wire and its going to run. I told the fellow over and over but he said he needed the cash so I bought It. But I plan to flip it quick sell it then put that money into my caddy.

21. Maybe some lumber?

22. Abomination

Abomination

I haven't done this yet, but was considering railroad ties, cut to 2" lengths and stacked like Lincoln Logs on each corner...

Dude - how in the heck did you get that body off?

~Jason

23. mad-cad

mad-cad

Cant wait to see the caddy down at Moab,with any luck my 56 will be ready.

Tim

24. premium

premium
    from Goergia

thatas a lot of metal..

25. the shark

the shark

i will be following along for this one. keep 'em comin'.

26. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

The Shark.. wheres your caddy build. Ive been waiting to see some movement on yours. I have a few updates coming soon.

27. 63_nova_ss

63_nova_ss

looks like a great start, keep up the good work.

28. the shark

the shark

money is kind of tight these days so i cant get much work done right now... im waiting to get started on my rocker panels.

i will keep you guys up to date, but for now i will just have to enjoy the other caddy projects going on.

29. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Man, what I'd give to find something that old with a floorpan THAT nice...never mind the beautiful lines of a Fat Cad!
    Gonna be a thing of beauty Roger...

The "ColoRODo Caddy Cruisers"...You, Dan, Chris, Ron Brown...any others?

30. Any update on this project?