Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Belair *First build thread!*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnybsic, Sep 1, 2010.

1. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

2. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

I pushed through my trans fears, Once all the crud seattled in the pan i realized it wasn't that much (1 tea spoons worth) and no chunks. So im crossing my fingers that its all good. Threw in a new filter, oil and seals.

Spent a few days getting little things out of the way, gathering the "Nickle n' Dime" stuff....Yeaaaa $500 worth of nickle and dimes :mad:. Justtt when i thought i had everything i needed Haha.

Install went good too! Something about a prebuild mock up really paid off:cool:

Attached Files:

3. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Once i had the engine in the car I decided to try out my pre-lube adapter my buddy made out of an old dizzy.........
    THE PUMP DRIVE SHAFT WOULDN'T BUDGE.:eek:

Aparently when i put the pump on, the drive shaft collar wasn't seated correctly, or something.

I pulled the engine out again (Hurray) and checked it out. got it freed up and spun it with a drill on a stand. *Good oil pressure, nothing odd going on*
    So we stabbed the Dizzy in and it all went back in.
    THANK GOD I found that before i went further!!!!

I then preceded to brush it off and keep rollin.
    Put the headers on (BITCHIN) got a water pump etc.)

This thing fits reall good, Its got a good setback too!
    I had to chase a dead starter solenoid wire for an hour or two...Stupid neutral safety:rolleyes:

with a water bottle full of 91* and a fire extinguisher in hand I said a prayer and turned the key It actually cranked it up, and it came right to life. Perfect.

This thing sounds Soooooooooo absolutely bad ass. I LOVE IT.

I couldn't be happier. Man

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  4. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

Johny...... In case you don't know..a 400 turbo when manually shifted into low gear and left in low gear with the shifter...when the motor reachs top RPM the 400 will shift into 2nd gear on it's own (like an air shifter in a drag car) be prepeared for the first time you do this, you will piss your pants; I did...had a '66 impala with a factory 427--390hp, t/400 with a shift kit; damn that was a fun car....I love '55 chevys, and yours is looking GREAT !! I'm 68 years old so burn a tire for me....Ray...

5. yruhot

yruhot

Hey Artfrombama and Patman. Thanks for the tips. I got a set of spacers from E-bay and they are working fine. They also help retaining oil when trying to adjust hydraulic lifter lash while running eng. YRUHOT............Doug

6. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

lookin good johnny-----we will need a vid of her runnin---just idlin is good for now ;)

7. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I've done this once or twice in my coupe (and other cars I've had with a 400 turbo). It does scare the crap out of you the first time. Just when you think the engine is going to blow, it hits hard into second gear. But remember to move your shift lever to second otherwise you will come to a surprising down shift when slowing down.

8. yruhot

yruhot

Looking good, keep up the good work. That is a good feeling after all those hours. YRUHOT......Doug

9. yruhot

yruhot

You got it to Idle. You bragger .lol.Doug

10. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Heeh yea it idles. Sounds nasty.
    Thanks Brian and everyone else, ill try to get a video up sometime

However I cant break it in till i get pulleys for
    the damn thing ! I put a short style water pump on. Cannot find pulleys (even unreasonable ones) around here its driving me mad!!!
    I put up a wanted add, but if anyone has(water pump/ alternator) pulleys along with the alt brackets. Please help lol
    I think I screwed myself using the short pump, but I needed the room

11. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

12. I love this car!!! That motor and fender well headers look soooooo good.

13. Noland

Noland

looking awesome. I like big blocks in tri fives.

14. n847

n847

Looks good...Gotta love a fresh start up!

15. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

its tough to find those parts----unless u buy new :(

16. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Man, This month has been way to harsh for money...
    I was able to finally source pulleys n stuff this week, So-cal was able to order it for me. I actually had a store credit for $100 from them i forgot about untill i cleaned my shop out! Whooo Hooo got pulleys, and alt bracket fo free :D reused my top arm.

Also I borrowed a mr.gasket scoop from a buddy, Just for eye pleasing'ness.
    I like it, Might have to get me one ;)

I've saved Jusssst enough to get a drive shaft made this week (Hopefully).
    Crossing my fingers, Its getting so close i can taste the 100 octane.

Attached Files:

17. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

OH YEA... Hehhh :cool:
    Head a z-gate laying around, and scored a tap from my friend.

TAPPIN GEARS

Attached Files:

18. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

congratulations, keep going.

19. mt94ss

mt94ss

Looking good! The scoop looks menacing.

20. Lookin good man! My wife is re-opening her scrapbook store so this weekend we got all her fixtures out of my shop and my '55 back in!

21. yruhot

yruhot

Good job Johny, you're getting so close. Do you still have your eye brows? Just wondering LOl . Even if you lost them on start up I gues it would be worth it to hear that bad boy fire up. Talk to you later YRUHOT..........Doug

22. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Still got my eyebrows. It did kick back once and blow the bendix right out of the starter. Took the teeth right off, didn't hurt the fly wheel however.

Took the car on a trailer ride to the drive line shop yesterday. The missing links are falling into place

23. yruhot

yruhot

Wow you are hard on starters.lol. still working on mine as far as trying to lean out the idle circuit and picking up my 3000rpm stall converter today. wondering what it'll be like driving it with that in there. Anyway keep up the good work, getting so close to driving her.You'll have to make a video and post it here. I have my kid take care of that for me. I'm not that talented on here with that stuff. YRUHOT............Doug. ps photos of the car and truck headed for Laughlin. Turned lots of heads going down the road.lol

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      148.7 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      145.3 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      150.1 KB
      Views:
  24. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

waitin' on the drive shaft, my old (core) shaft was bent. so they couldn't use the tube like we originally planned and hoped.
    Cost a few more bucks cause of that, but hey...Its gonna be a good one!

Heres a few pictures from the other day, she was gettin some sun and wind on the trailer.

I gotta say, I'm diggin the stance shes got. Its just spot on my style! looks tough :cool:

Attached Files:

25. yruhot

yruhot

Yea I had to have a new shaft made up. Went down to Adams Driveline and they knocked it out in like two days. They crawled up under the car on the trailer and made I think it was a 3" dia. with 1350 u-joints. have'nt hurt it yet.lol. Going to install new torque converter after next week I hope. Getting real busy with the a/c work.Moneys good but the drain on my car time sucks. Why is everything a choice.;lol. Anyway I want to see some videos of this thing terrorizing the neighborhood. I went out to the Pep boys new speed shop grand opening out on Jones and Flamingo. Went to Santa Fee first and then over there. What a zoo. Drove around the place twice to find a parking place and no luck. Had to drive all the way around the soccer field/baseball complex out back and setoff quite a few car alarms. That was a hoot. No pun intended. OK later YRUHOT............Doug

26. ottos

ottos

get that car done. be fun for all of us trifive guys to run these at the strip...

27. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Im hustlin' man!
    I'm so close but I still got a "to do & buy" list a mile long it seems.
    can't wait to take it to some events and drags :D.
    If anyone ever makes it out to the las vegas motor speeday, Ill line up with ya.

Got the drive-shaft back and installed today, its a nice one...it was a few pretty pennys.
    had no issues installing. Went ahead and serviced the trans fluid too. Hooked up the converter bolts etc.

My chick has been itchin to help so i let her install the shifter, cable and linkage. She did a pretty damn good job to boot!

Now my attention turns to the fuel system, Radiatior filler panels/ relocation brackets (being that the rad is now in front of the core-support... radiator fan shroud, throttle stuff cables,etc.... soo close:rolleyes:
    Ohh, maybe a windsheild would be in order too.

Attached Files:

28. yruhot

yruhot

Screw the windshield, get some goggles and pretend the a/c is on.lol. Getting pretty warm.YRUHOT Doug

29. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

getting the fuel lines and such tied up.

Had no where to put my regulator etc. (no inner fenders) So i made up a bracket to hang it off the side of the carb.
    Keeps it clean, and out of the way of the valve covers too!

I like it much better that the red carb log i already bought for $50:rolleyes:
    Ehh oh well.
    Should have it all tied up by end of weekend

Chuggin along friends!

Attached Files:

• mail.jpg
      mail.jpg
      File size:
      71.7 KB
      Views:
    • wer.jpg
      wer.jpg
      File size:
      79.2 KB
      Views:
    • st.jpg
      st.jpg
      File size:
      80.6 KB
      Views:
    • dshdgh.jpg
      dshdgh.jpg
      File size:
      65.5 KB
      Views:
  30. yruhot

yruhot

Looking good. I mounted mine to my firewall and was chastised by the guys at Figs speed shop out in Henderson that my location was illegal according to NHRA incase of flying clutch parts that might fly up in that area. Huh? I didn't know, Do now. Also according to Jegs catalog I must use two regulators for multiple carbs on alot of their regulators. I think I'm having fuel delivery problems makes sense. Replaced the 660 center squiters with carters ( edelbrock) 2 600 cfm. Drives arouind like a dream compaired to the others. OK good luck, enjoy the ride. Lets see some video. Later. YRUHOT..............Doug