Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1954 gmc first build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jordabennett, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1badbaker

1badbaker

very nice progress.

2. After a few nights of getting high as hell on paint fumes i finished it loaded it up and took it back to the shop, mounted it back over the frame and I'm proud to say it turned out better than imagined.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

don't mind the aluminium pipes they are just over tranny lines bet out the walking path
    [​IMG]

got some vintage wires for it as well
    [​IMG]

3. Typical christmas month, hectic as usual and not much time to do things.
    and with funds running low because of it, not alot has gotten finished, but i managed to get the original seat mounts cut out, mount the air tank for bags, made a full mount including steel straps for the fuel cell( keg ), made a fire wall piece to hide the uglies and keep it smooth. used a crimp and hole punch around it for an added look. cabs mounted box is semi mounted, got the shift linkage put together and made a nice tall shifter. coming together.. slowly. probably won't get much more done until after the holidays.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

I really like the color, goes well with the engine, dash and white headers. GMC tailgate treatment looks perfect.

5. UncleDonnie

UncleDonnie

This thing is coming along real nice! How many man hours do you think are in it to this point?

6. truck looks killer, good job bro.......

7. thanks guys! will be done before jan 23rd.
    man hours..... whhhhooeeee. i wish i could tell yeah.. :D alot.

8. Well its been a great holiday away but its time to crack down and get this truck finished. IF i have enough money:( but i was able to pick up the steel bungs of the keg. just need to get those big welded on. and got all the air fittings and hose for the bags. spend most of the day yesterday plumbing and mounting all the bags. finished welding the front bags and remounted the bottoms. made valve cover studs and continuing to do what i can. more progress today.

*******One thing i am having trouble with is these manual air switches i bought form princess auto. it looked to me that they have one inlet and two out lets. which i liked because then i was not 'T'ing the bags. they had their own line. but when its all hooked up only one fills and then if i bleed it fills the other what gives?
    heres a photo of what i mean, the one with the PLUG and T to bags works other does not.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    alternator bracket. [​IMG]

Here is a video of the bags. from the video you can't really see it go but it travels alot!! feels cool to do it inside the truck!!
    [​IMG]

9. Got alittle bit more done today, got a power steering pump and brackets. need the get some lines made. dropped off the keg a my buddies to get the bung big welded got a boat roller to cut down for bushings for the box. running boards and rear fenders mounted. rear lights mounted. getting a cheap battery tomorrow hopefully to start wiring this thing. farted around this evening with some beach matts glued to the dash panel.. going to do the glove box and ash tray as well. head liner i might get alittle crazy the do this hawaiian material. who knows. need to focus on the important stuff first!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

heres a video of cycling the bags, almost wish i went with 3/8 line:D
    [​IMG]

but once the compressor is fully full it should be okay.

10. battery cables run and mounted to the back. spark plugs cut and crimped. power steering pump and brackets mounted. played around with some interior stuff. but i need to get it running before any more of that shit! hahah.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Man this is cool. Love the interior and the engine looks great!

12. midcal48

midcal48
    from Hughson,CA

where did you get those spark plug wires? truck looks great by the way

13. knoxbrendon

knoxbrendon

Nice lookin good

14. just from a local auto parts place. hotrods and classics. no brand just came in bag. had to make each one.

15. wired the compressor and just need to wire a relay for the pressure switch, which turns on at 110 and off at 145. bags work great when theres air!
    got a fuse box and going to start to wire this guy. still waiting for my keg to be welded and pressure tested then will hook up fuel. painted headers and bolted them in for good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. well started on the wiring harness with my buddy JD the real deal when it come to wiring.

*Also saw this photo of those rims along time ago and love the look. i believe they are from a old ford explore or something?? any ideas. i want to run these!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

little hawwaiin touch.. i need some ideas for a seat cover. not going to traditional mexican blanket way. what some thing simpler for the head liner and other small hawaiian accents to pop.
    idea???
    [​IMG]

17. jazzbum

jazzbum

those rims look like spares, might be kind of small for your truck

18. getting more wiring done. managed with help from my buddy justin to get the front clip together, cut the old frame horns and got the rad support sitting on a jack and going to make a mount tomorrow for it. also found the rims I'm after. the picture is of a 17'' but i will most likely go 15'' cheaper...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Coach529

Coach529

Where did you find the rims?

20. okay tire, just down the road, retail for about $60 each

21. Finished the rad support today. lined everything up once again just to make sure. made it a little low with a nice piece of rubber between, just incase the clip needs to come up or down, polished up the old rad. mounted it. drilled what felt like a billion holes just to do something different... installed the heater and pull toggle. waiting to get some heater line to finish it off. started on some matt inside the truck. no idea what I'm going to do for carpet or floor..
    also installed the windshield.. took aliltte time but the string helped immensely.
    AND THENNN....... some how no idea how but the window cracked :mad: so pissed! i went inside the cab to grab something and noticed the line i thought was water.. nope just a bog old crack... fudge!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. more progress, mounted box. used boat rollers from princess auto to make the spacers i need to get the bed level and the desired height. fixed the rear fenders. got the keg back.... unfortunately the breather bung was welded in front of the gas filler. but will stay for now until fixed at another time. but drilled more holes and fixed it to the bulk head as well for added strength. finished running all the fuel in with another fuel filter to catch any debris from the tank. plumbed and ran all wires for the rear tail lights. mounted the heater core lines, and rad hoses. wrapped with old copper loom.. wish i had bigger sizes to slip over. all the wiring will hopefully get finished this weekend with a first start. figures crossed!!!!!!!! also my girl friend got me too glass door knobs. so drilled a hole in the gas cap and mounted one and filled the old antenna hole with another. love with way they look. more to come!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Today was a great and productive day, hooked up all lines for the motor and finally got it started.. rad leaks alittle bit... dammit. may try some jb weld on it . man when that thing fired up holly shit i was stoked! its so god damn loud!
    im so fired up! so next of the list. electric fan, drive shaft and mount other rims and tires. so much for "exhaust header paint" those headers smoked:D

VIDEOS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Was so loud i scared a murder of crows;
    [​IMG]

Did i major clean
    [​IMG]

24. Well I'm close but yet so far it seems.. one step forward 4 steps back.. but slowly I'm making progress. while fixing the lower rad support to the fenders i realized the bottom of the rad frame was rotten and full of shit, and leaking... so i took it all out and cleaned everything. soldered around the bungs and then reattached the old frames and made a new bottom with some rubber matting as spacing. Also got the grill mounted and just waiting for my 55 caddy bumber to fab some new ideas for under the head lights. front head light harness finished, electric fan installed and waiting for wiring, tranny lines and cooler in and mounted. heat matt. cut and glued in.. carpet one day, seat in and bolted. need some good cheap ideas for a seat cover that goes with the surf theme in side. having quite the time with rear tires.. the ones you have seen on there are too deep and hit the fenders and any other old no offset ones hit the inside.. need to find a set of good steelies that fit.
    Also got this sweet beer tap for my shifter too!!!! Thanks llyod!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

drive shaft cut and balanced and installed.
    fraser came over to deal with some electrical problems, and then the gang showed up for some beers and burnouts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. That was a great update thanks for all the pics. That is a sweet bar tap perfect piece for your interior. "Keep on keeping on"

26. cheers man!

27. getting more progress done day by day, wheel adapters installed, used alittle never cease so the aluminum won't weld to the rotor. beer tap installed. as well as the glove box. gauge cluster is in right now. looks great. buick wheels in the rear and 55 chevy wheels up front, plumbed in a line lock before adding fluid, now ill be able to do brake stands with rear disc brakes:D power sterering lines installed. this was a nightmare finding something that would fit ended up going with a universal make it your self deal. ugly ass fittings but unfortunately its all they had at the time. rear corner glass in, back one is being a real pain!! headlights in and wired. tonight is the last night of wiring and it will be done. bumpers and small things and hopefully its road worthy. and then shocks all away around when i have money.:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fronts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the handle of the lock with stick out the side of the shifter boot. barley noticeable. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Was over at my good buddy Raff's place having a few beers. sitting in his 427 bb powdered model a. i think its a good fit:D
    [​IMG]

28. MORE VIDEOS, GUYS!!!!:confused::confused::confused:

29. wiring is complete. almost. just need to clean it up under the dash. heater fan works electric fan works lights, gauges etc all work!
    i mounted the the dimmer switch in the old hole where the spring was for the old e brake. i made a angle piece the came off the side of the pedal and mounted a carb spring to old it down, now you just push on the e brake for hi and lo beam. its getting inspected tomorrow. fingers crossed.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sight line works
    [​IMG]

drilled holes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't think the stock bumper is going to cut it, brain storming for ideas.
    the front I'm going to cut up the bullets from a 55 caddy bumper. should look pretty cool. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lights
    [​IMG]

trimmed and mounted.
    [​IMG]

30. WAAAAHOOOOO!!!! she's passed inspection. and its fully registered!
    over heating issue but hoping i can figure out the issue. had to melt the tires a little. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    spy shot.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.