Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 Ford auto transmission filter number?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kreampuffkilla, Jan 6, 2023.

1. Kreampuffkilla

Kreampuffkilla

Trying to find the part number for a transmission filter for my 54 skyliner. Mine has the automatic ford-o-matic 3speed overdrive. And don’t know if it’s a one fits all for all crestline transmissions. Or is there a specific one I need.

thanks for your help

302GMC and Boneyard51 like this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Wow! That is a very unusual transmission!

Bones

jaracer, vtx1800 and jimmy six like this.
  3. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

Those filters were a screen mesh,usually brass.Take it out wash and blow out with air. Put it back.

Kreampuffkilla likes this.
  4. Check in with the '52-'59 Social Group, I would think you will get a answer fast.

You will have to join the social group, but there is a lot of information available.HRP

Click here:

Kreampuffkilla and pprather like this.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If what you say about your transmission is true it is not original to the car when no automatic with an overdrive was available at that time. it maybe swapped for a more modern one. Is your engine the original 239 Ford Y-Block or a later upgrade?
    You need to look a the transmission pan shape and the amount and arrangement of the bolting. It may say “metric” on the bottom also. There are drawings of pan bottoms on the net which will help identify what you have.
    I found the 1954 Ford transmission gasket and filter by just looking up “1954 Ford Automatic Transmission filter”. It looked identical to the one that was in my 56.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    Moriarity and Kreampuffkilla like this.
  6. Kreampuffkilla

Kreampuffkilla

yes, it’s a 239 Y block. It’s the original one. And I think I made a mistake on the overdrive. It’s just a three speed Fordomatic. I don’t know why I said overdrive.

7. Kreampuffkilla

Kreampuffkilla

Thank you. I will definitely join one

8. Kreampuffkilla

Kreampuffkilla

It's a3 speed fordomatic. I don't know why I said overdrive.

9. Slopok

Slopok

Or you could just go down to your local Orielly's and tell them what you need! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

10. jaracer

jaracer

Like someone else said, it has a metal mesh filter. If the fluid is in good shape you can just clean it in a little solvent. If the fluid is burned I'd soak it in some good solvent like acetone. If you want a new one, these guys are likely to have one http://txchange.com/ along with any seals or gaskets you may need.

11. Fisrust

Fisrust

How does one join the 52-59 social group? I'm new here and have much to learn. Thank you in advance.

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

13. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I’ve used these on the fordomatic in my ‘54 ford wagon

Attached Files: