Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 Chevy belt...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by worthop, Jul 6, 2015.

1. worthop

worthop

need a number for a belt. have a '54 with 235; I am running an alternator with a National Chevy bracket kit...... number on the belt is worn out, and there is a severe lack of auto parts stores here in NYC with intelligent life forms working in them......I find it hard to believe that none of them can match anything up

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take the old belt off and take it to a NAPA store or possibly even an OReillys and they should have a belt measuring tool that they put the belt on and measure it for both length and width.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Start with a 7417, and see if it matches...if it is too big, then get a smaller one...if it's too small, then get a bigger one.

Sounds like you don't need a part number, as much as you need a counterman. Good luck.

spiffy1937 likes this.
  4. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I feel your lack of counterman with common sense pain. Awhile back I was needed some header bolts for my 58 283. It was late so I went to the the local Auto Zone and told the guy what I needed. He typed it into his computer and told me his computer didn't go back that far. So then I asked him if he had them for any sbc. He then wanted to know what kind of car, year, if it had power steering..... He then told me there was a rack of universal bolts I could look through to see if I could find some. Against my better judgment, I asked him if he could tell me what size they were. He told me, "Since it's kinda old, it's probably not metric, but sometimes they switch them up on ya so you just can't be sure anymore."

spiffy1937 likes this.

5. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

spiffy1937 likes this.