Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 Chevrolet column shift questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod54chevy, Oct 12, 2015.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Ok, fellers and gals. '54 210 2 door with a 283. Had a Hurst floor shift and buckets in it when I got it. Hated it so I switched to a B&M moved up 6 inches with buckets. Working on things that make it less fun/pain in the ass to drive and just decided to get a column shifter, a linkage kit and hook it up to the TH350. I think I've found a decent shifter, out of a '54-55 truck with the column, shifter, shift indicator, steering wheel and original automatic gear box, but I've some questions. I know I can clean up the gear box and attach it with the linkage kit. But in my part search before I decided to get a complete set up, I found this: https://www.nationalchevyassoc.com/1949_1954_column_shift_lever_retainer_kit_709

Where does this go? I've old assembly diagrams and install instructions for gear indicator lamps (which I'll eventually get) but I don't see this part anywhere on those. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That is for the factory shift handle. It holds the handle to the shift rod.

3. Don't know exactly how it all stacks together but it looks like some pieces that go in where the shift lever goes into the shift lever housing/shift bowl. They would allow the shift lever to pivot and I'd guess the spring is used to pre-load the lever toward the dash to help hold it in whatever gear you select. And to keep things from rattling around while driving and keeping the trans from possibly trying to jump into another gear. :oops:

4. The spring holds the buttons tight. The buttons hold the shifter handle to the shifter Rod. The buttons are very easy to loose. Spring goes into the shifter handle.

5. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

I have a 53 shifter linkage pm me