Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 1 ton and 1/2 ton axle ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sphynx, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Alright school me here I just found me a 1954 chevy pickup I got it home so its mine . Now someone put a astro van frontend under it bad just plain awfull I know I didnt do it but I want to bring it back to its former glory. So I found a parts truck that has a few parts I could use but its a 1 ton my question is are the spindles and axle the same as half ton or would I need to find a half ton frontend ? The frame was not cut to put the asto IFS under it they bolted it in so Im good as far as the frame goes but I want the straight axle , call me dumb but I like the wheels and tires under the fenders . Soooooo please if not for me tell me for the truck . I did a search and come up empty handed . Thanks in advance.

2. pricejap

pricejap

Join the AD Truckers group. Some one on that group will know. I don't think the axles are the same though. I am thinking the king pins are bigger on the 1 ton.

3. squirrel

squirrel

you want half ton stuff.

4. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

The Astro van has a front clip if I remember right, if they bolted that to the stock frame that would look really dumb. Have any pics?

The axles and spindles are different, I am sure there are a few guy that have swapped in a IFS and have a 1/2 ton piece laying around. Post a want ads in the classifieds and you should get a response, hopefully something close.

5. senior fried

senior fried

Yes !

6. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Yes your right it looks really dumb , but I found a complete 1 ton minus bed for $300 but not much useable parts and a half ton frontend for $150 but I made a deal today for the halfton front end and will be making an offer on the 1 ton I will post some pics tomorrow . Its really ugle .