Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 chevy 6 volt ignition switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jesdude, Feb 25, 2013.

1. jesdude

jesdude

I haven't really thought about this and it dawned on me today. I purchased an American Autowire Highway 15 kit and it includes a new ignition switch with keys but I wanted to keep the stock 53 ignition switch with the neat lighted bezel and keyhole. My car will be all 12 volts now and I'm wondering If I can use the original ign switch? Keep in mind that I am installing an inline 250 cu. engine from a 1971 chevy truck into my car. I'm worried about an increased load on the switch. Should I wire up a starter relay instead?

2. 5559

from tn

will be ok as is - just change the bulb

3. Curt B

Curt B

The original 6 volt switch had to support twice the amperage and will be more robust than a 12 volt one. Same goes for all the wiring.

4. jesdude

jesdude

Ok, but can anybody recommend a relay kit? I just would like to shorten the path of the electricity to the starter to decrease starting issues in the future.

5. 325w

325w
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from texas

Just wire it like AAW says in their instructions. It will work as good as new. IMHO

6. boooooob

boooooob

Had one of those 250's in my old Tom Sawyer boat, GM starters had an external attached solenoid, which is a mechanical lever and relay together, you can put in another relay, but you will be adding more connections with probably not much gain if any...:)

boooooob

7. jesdude

jesdude

That's my plan for pretty much everything else. I will be using the headlight switch and dimmer switch that came with the kit.

I realize that but I guess what I'm getting at is having the ease to "bump" the engine at the solenoid for maintenance and testing purposes and also reducing potential heat soak/hot start issues. I found something that said to use a solenoid for a early 90's Ford and I believe that is what I will use.

thanks for your replies! :D

8. Snarl

Snarl