Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs *** 1953 Chevrolet Chop..... I know, another one!!!***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ian Berky, Jul 31, 2010.

1. ronnyg801

ronnyg801

AWESOME WORK! I really appreciate the time for photos too! I have tried to take step by steps on my own non hamb related stuff and I failed haha. Seriously thanks for taking the time! The pictures have really cleared up a lot of my questions on things that have seemed to be left a little vague in other "rockstar" chops.

I will be PMing you with other questions in the future if thats cool? Or asking here if you prefer to share with everyone.

2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Wow,nice work!.I never get tired to watch Ian's chop threads.

3. scrape53

scrape53
    from iowa

very nice work

4. Deathtrap Kustoms

Deathtrap Kustoms

Very nice work. I've never seen it asked so maybe its not "proper" on this forum, BUT what do you charge to do that same chop with window on a similar car?

5. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Crazy good work.... I'm sure i'm not the only one who is influenced by you.

6. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

I can't thank you enough for the kind words guys, it's very generous!!! THANK YOU!!

I love doing this stuff and i so wish i could make a living doing it but i'm a TERRIBLE business man, so i'm going back to the Teamsters local 399!!! I'm not gonna stop doing custom work but i gotta go make some real money. I plan on taking small jobs here and there but my real plan is to buy a car at a time and customize it and sell it!!! Chopped , suspension, body mods, etc.....

Oh well..........:(

7. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

At lease you figgered out the money deal BEFORE you had five guys workin for you and a $ 3,800.00 a month lease on a commerical building!

Man, I don't know how you gey anything done whyle sweeping, dusting, and insuring proper tool alignment at all times, but looks like you found a way.

" The ice cream truck in his neighborhood plays Helter-Skelter "

8. Ian you will probably find you enjoy it alot more when you are not worrying about how much money you are making doing it. Keep up the good work and keep us in the loop.

9. as long as you're available to do the fleetline when we're ready to do it....

i might even let you chop it.

10. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

Your plan of building cars and selling them sounds awesome. I've always though that would be more fun that running a shop...looking forward to your builds.

11. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

HAHA!! YOU BET!!

I will for sure !!! I ain't going nowhere , just time to help out around here and help my wife with the bills, can't be all play and my way!! it's just not fair for my wife!!!

Ill be around brother!!!

I don't know how much money there is to be made but at least it won't be my only income!!!! Thanx man!!

12. Hey homey......good luck with whatever you end up doing. You're a lucky man for having a lady that stands behind you doing what you love. So as you know, you gotta keep her happy too. You'll find that balance.

In the meantime, keep slinging lead and building bad-ass customs, whenever you can....

[​IMG]

Later, Bryan

13. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

You're a good man Bryan!!!! Fuck we had a great time last weekend!!! Carie says hi!!!:)

14. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Awesome work and incredibly clean Ian.The pictures speak for themselves way to go man.

15. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

hey dude-whatever you end up doing for a living, you'll kill it. just please don't stop building cars!

16. maddog1949

maddog1949

very nice work . :)

17. cozee

cozee

I'm getting ready to chop my '52 Chevy PU and have been trying to figure out how to keep the wing vents. THANKS!!!!!

18. BadLuck

BadLuck

Hey Ian, thanks again to you and Carie for letting me eat your burgers and drink your beer last weekend!!.. had a great time with you and Bryan.. hey do what you gotta do brother... its tough out there, take care of you and your wife first, there will always be time for customs... you do awesome work Ian, and your a helluva friend.. couldnt be happier for you and Carie... lets kick it again soon! next time im bringin' my swimmin' shorts! hahaha! Cj

19. Merge

Merge

Ian, thanks for all the pics of this chop and detailed info. I started cutting on my 53 Sunday and have been following right along with this one. Best of Luck!

20. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Ian..whats up bro... I have somehow missed this thread over the last 8 weeks its been up, First off Nice work man..amazing chop!!! Second, congrats on the new shop/house..also, hey we all gotta do the right things to pay the bills, keep turning out these awesome customs when u can!
    That move I had metioned earlier this year to So Cal is happening in 2 weeks so ill catch you on the West side Im sure at some event soon...missed last weeknd LB show:( I gotta see ur Chev in person bro!
    BTW..great job on the wing glass frames and the garnish moldings...(just when the chops done its time to deal w all the trimings!:D)

Later, Eric

21. Every time a customizer takes a public job, an angel gets its wings. Well something like that. Sorry you have to give it up. Maybe you can get back to it in the future. But just because you are not doing it for a living, don't give it away. I worked for about 35 years always trying to charge the customer what I thought I would want to pay, but guess what. Finally figured out I'm a tightwad. Too late now. I'll tell you what it got me. Broke, lungs full of paint and dob dust, 25 years of not seeing my wife and kids almost every night and laid up disabled and just about unable to even do the smallest amount of work on my own car. Take care of yourself first. A friend of mine told me it's the "F**k you ,I'm for me" way of thinking. I'm sorry if I sound bitter, but I wasted my life trying to help others. Do you think any of them are outside my house now wanting to help me fix my car? I believe that answer would be HELL NO.

22. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

My good Friend Kevin Miller is a Hollywood Teamster.

Good luck man.
    - Joe

23. lgh1157

lgh1157

You are the skinniest teamster I know

:D :D

24. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

Ian, You are good people my friend, it all takes time, you will enjoy workin on cars again when it is fun. sometimes doing them as a business makes it not fun. take care of your wife and do all you can do. It will all work out, keep that head high, cause you mastered your skills fast and do great work, my friend. I wish i had enough that you could fly out a week a month or so and help do a job. or better yet pack your stuff and move to kansas you guys could be rock stars in ark city !!!hahahah oh and this pic just shows the dedication to his work...........look he just got out of the hospital and already working....see the wristband !!!

Attached Files:

• Ian.jpg
      Ian.jpg
      File size:
      149.2 KB
      Views:
  25. E St Nene

E St Nene
    from Oxnard, CA

Ian, thats a nice garage & I applaud you on bitchin work :D

26. Well maybe you will still do the work we talked about at Ventura?
    Take care bro and we will see your work out there again soon,
    Hope to see you again soon:cool:

27. scoop

scoop

I've had people ask me to do work for them,I turn them down,takes the fun out of it and turns it into work.Kick ass work Ian.

28. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Hey thanx everyone for the positive feed back, quite a few of you made me laugh pretty good!!!!:D

It's not a huge deal, im still gonna work on cars and im gonna take a few jobs here and there , but im mostly gonna work on my own stuff!!! I got plans for a late 30's - early 40's kustom... I just gotta go make some money first!!!

The thing about motion picture that's good, being that i work mostly commercials, you work about 12 to 18 days a month depending on how busy your crews are, and the rest you can work in the garage or any other hobbies one might have. Most guys i know have a side business.

I just gotta be a man and step up to the plate and help out my lovely wife!!!! That simple!!!:)

BTW, That pic Bryan posted was after the SHOWCASE and after many alcoholic beverages!!!!:eek:

Thanx for all the nice comments guys.... means a whole lot!!!!!

29. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Ian! Your work ROCKS! Looks great, man!

30. Super Clean workmanship.