Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 Buick clutch replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike1951, Aug 5, 2012.

1. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

The throw out bearing in my 53 Buick is toast. I figure since I have to do it, I will replace the clutch and pressure plate as well.
    So my questions:

1. Should I just order from Bob's or a place like that or are there other clutch options? I read mention on Team Buick of a guy using a 68 truck clutch but this was just one post, no follow through or discussion...
    What is my best option parts wise? Lookin for old timers who know what parts cross with what here.

2. Any decent write ups with some tips or tricks? I understand the read end has to be removed to drop the trans. From what it looks like the bell housing stays on though as it appears to be part of the rear engine mount?

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

1. Ft. Wayne Clutch and Driveline, Ft. Wayne, Indiana can rebuild your existing parts. Had them do a 50's era Olds disc for me and it was well done.

2. There should be room to drop PP & disc out the bottom. The bellhousing can't be removed from engine until flywheel comes off. If clearance is an issue, it may be that the engine support rear crossmember is removable from the frame if the engine is supported by another means.

Ray

3. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Thanks man. The Buick guys hit me with this gem...

"You do not have to remove the rear end. This requires removing the weight from the rear axle and supporting the car on the frame with jack stands. Then remove the four bolts holding the rear of the transmission to the torque tube and pull the rear end back about four or five inches with a come-a-long. You now have room to remove the transmission. You will have to support the rear of the engine."

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

Just unbolt the rear springs, shocks, emergency brake cable and unbolt the torque tube from the transmission and roll the rear wheels back. Unbolt the transmission and clutch assy.

5. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Another gem from the Buick site. I am sharing here in case any other Buick guys are in the same bind.

"You don't have to stay with the original wave spring pressure plate. Bob's offers a modern diaphragm-type replacement, and I think a similar product is available from other vendors too. The flywheel bolt circle is 11-5/8", which is standard for most 10" and 10-1/2" pressure plates except the Long type, and I know a Chevrolet unit will bolt up. The one thing you have to pay attention to is the finger height, because you are pretty much stuck with the stock release bearing. The common later type GM bearings aren't compatible with the fork."

6. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I will be doin my clutch tomorrow. If you are in the area for the Hoe-Down at South Side Johnny's feel free to pop in. We will be beerin, wrenchin...and jammin some tunes in the garage. I live right downtown 413E. Fontanero. Feel free to pop in. Might start to feel like when Hovet and Lindsey (Lonely Knights) used to live down the street and most weekends was a car show in the alley...

7. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Clutch done....
    Feels nice
    Whole job was surprisingly easy.

Throw out bearing rattled pretty bad. Here is a photo of a melted ball bearing that fell out..

[​IMG]

Pressure plate was thrashed from the bad bearing

[​IMG]

Yanked the trans and pressure washed it and replaced the fluid while it was out. Great day.