Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 tranny grinding sound :confused:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LiL' NiCk, Sep 5, 2003.

1. LiL' NiCk

LiL' NiCk

While driving last week I felt a hesitation in the rear, a slight tug-tug. (prior to that it drove perfectly from milw. to bobbleeds) Then I heard a gears a grindin and I wiped over to side of freeway-Was froze in third gear- Never made it to the big cheater show.

I thinking I need a tranny. Any suggestions as to where, & how much I might need to scrap together to get one? I've only had the car a month-so is this a usual problem?

Thanx

2. LiL' NiCk

LiL' NiCk

Oh, It is a stovebolt chevy w a 3 on tree.

3. What car and exact trans you talking about? Sounds like you either have to rebuild the one you have, or find a used one. Either way you are looking at pulling a trans i think.

4. LiL' NiCk

LiL' NiCk

Where's a good place to look for a '52 chevy manual transmission?

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have one out of a 54 Chevy pickup Let me know if you want it

6. whizzerick

whizzerick

Now may be a good time to look into a T5 conversion?
    Nothin' sweeter than a dual carbed, dual exhausted 235 turning 2200 RPM at 60 mph...

7. LiL' NiCk

LiL' NiCk

Coversion? That is tempting me but Iwanted to first get the car runnuing good before changin things. Besides my money is real tight (or barely present. Next year I hope to throw my lake pipes on, since a drunk totaled my truck last week! [​IMG]

8. Nick,
    hit a bone yard and pick up the parts for the column and shifter, that thing may just be stuck in 3 because the shifter won't move, it's gotta be fixed anyway, and it's much cheaper than a trans. check out the repair manual, here's the link, and if ya need any help call me....262 470-1647.
    and if you need cheap transportation i maybe able to hook ya up.

http://1946to1954chevys.web1000.com/13supplement/13_01.htm

9. O'yah, almost forgot, i might have found a pile of stovebolt HP goodies...from a crazy harley dude i meet