Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1952 Pontiac Catalina Hardtop Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1959Nomad, Sep 8, 2021.

1. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Canadian Pontiacs from 1955 until the 70s came with SBC and valve covers that said PONTIAC. You might try to find a set of those. The car looks fantastic and your attention to detail is over the top.
    Warren

Bruce A Lyke and guthriesmith like this.
  2. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

something I’ve done to 1967 and earlier cars is to wire the front parking lights to the tail light circuit so they are on even when the headlights are on! Did it to my Packard, some of my Cadillacs like my 63, My '63 Chevy Impala, My old 56 Corvette, and I'll be doing it to my 41 Cadillac when I rewire it. Likewise, I'll do it to my dad's 56 Pontiac project car (if I don't sell it in the meantime...)

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    Outback and Bruce A Lyke like this.
  3. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Interesting, something to add to my "Nice to have list" and be on the lookout for.

guthriesmith likes this.
  4. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Got my "New Radio" back, AM/FM, Bluetooth Ect
    Now if there are troubling sounds, I can always just turn up the volume:rolleyes: radio 1.jpg

Attached Files:

Ford52PU, Outback, cfmvw and 4 others like this.
  5. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks for the lead wuga, looks like those are the earlier staggered type, my engine is a 350
    Sounds like they made then into the late 60's or early 70's, anyone know what they looked like?

guthriesmith likes this.
  7. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Nice. Do you have the foam rubber trumpet that goes over the loudspeaker? It funnels the sound to the radio grille.

If not, I went to the craft store (think Michaels, Hobby Lobby etc) and bought some black high density foam sheet which I cut up and glued together with super glue to make the cone.

Phil

v8flat44 and Bruce A Lyke like this.
  8. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Yes one came with the parts radio, not sure if I will use it or make a new one using it as a sample.
    Cut the holes in the rear deck for a pair of 6x9's today

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    PhilA likes this.
  10. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

guthriesmith likes this.
  11. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bruce, Keep up the great work on a great car!

guthriesmith likes this.
  12. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks MMM1693!

guthriesmith likes this.
  13. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

So, I finally got the new stereo system in and the car back together.... and started the car up for a drive...
    It had been running great 3 weeks ago, to starting right up but running rough and unable to idle:(
    even when warmed up and the idle screw turned all the way in, still bad. will hopefully start trouble shooting, starting with the plugs, wires and distributor
    It's a 74 350 with a Quadrajet if you have a suggestion based on your own experiences:cool:
    The PO had a set of valve seals still in the package and thing he may have forgot to install them, it will smoke a bit if it has for several days, there was less yesterday, maybe the worst cylinder (s) have the plugs so fouled they are not firing? 15 days to Back to the 50's, thought it was all set to go, time to thrash on it:rolleyes:

guthriesmith likes this.
  14. Well, now. There's a fleet farm i recognize

Bruce A Lyke likes this.
  15. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Ah, the good old days when the car was running great:rolleyes:
    I live about a mile east of the Lakeville store.
    Hopefully i can get the latest bugs sorted out for BTT50's, are you planning to attend?

guthriesmith likes this.
  16. You have plenty of time to figure it out Bruce! I likely wouldn’t even start trying until the day before I needed to be at the show. :rolleyes:

Outback and Bruce A Lyke like this.
  17. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Got the car running well today, trouble was a leaking needle valve, likely due to no spring behind the Gas filter and a few other issues inside the carburetor from the work of the PO:rolleyes:
    A new float, gasket kit with new needle valve, seat and accelerator pump and it is running great, even better than the last time I thought it was:cool:
    Time to get out on the road for a bit more shakedown to be sure it is ready for Back to the 50's next week.

PhilA and guthriesmith like this.
  18. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

shakedown.jpg

"Time to get out on the road for a bit more shakedown to be sure it is ready for Back to the 50's next week."

Well on the plus side, the first five miles went great. It decided to stop a few blocks from home. A friend who does towing was only a few miles away and not busy. And, since there was gas pouting out the top (float stuck??), I can get a replacement Carburetor this week. So, I guess its an expense, not a problem:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  19. Yikes! What carburetor is on it Bruce?

20. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Its a 1981 Quadrajet with electric choke.

21. Gotcha. I am no help when it comes to quadrajets. Holley’s is about all I know well. Sounds like you have a solution to be able to make it this weekend.

Bruce A Lyke likes this.
  22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are a good carb with excellent characteristics when correct. Today there are very few bolt on with their bottom design. Consider a Summit which are known to be trouble free and really good right out of the box.

Bruce A Lyke likes this.
  23. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Picking up a rebuilt Quadrajet at 10:00 AM tomorrow.
    Hopefully it will go well and i will be back in shakedown mode tomorrow afternoon:cool:
    The main event for this car is Back to the 50's in St. Paul MN, it starts on 6/17, runs Friday. Saturday and Sunday
    I will be working at the south registration on Thursday and plan to drive it there too.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    PhilA and guthriesmith like this.
  24. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Good luck! Hopefully the rebuilt carb gives you smooth sailing all the way.

Take lots of pictures!

25. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Rebuilt carb is in, and the car is running well.
    The speedometer stopped working apparently just before the car stopped last week. looks like the cable melted on the exhaust. Replaced the cable and the speedometer and odometer worked for a bit and then both stopped at 11499.9 miles. will do a bit more driving today around home and will likely just use the speedo app on my phone for the drive this weekend to BTT50's
    cable.jpg

guthriesmith likes this.
  26. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

nightlight .jpg

Test driving last night and heading home, it popped a hubcap at the same intersection the car quit. it landed in the middle of the intersection, and I parked in the school parking lot and was able to retrieve it before it got run over. provided a good opportunity for a picture

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    Ford52PU, Oilguy and guthriesmith like this.
  27. Glad you were able to recover the hubcap before it got run over! That isn't what happened the other day when Silas lost a muffler off his Edsel. Someone got it right as he spotted it on the road... :( It likely wouldn't have mattered as far as repairing the car, but probably not too good on the tire that hit it. :rolleyes:

Bruce A Lyke likes this.
  28. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

speedo.jpg holder.jpg front rim.jpg
    Rached up around 50 mikes and it ran well, lots of power and acceleration.
    Speedo worked again briefly, then stopped
    Made a bracket to hold my phone and use a speedometer app
    The other front hubcap popped off going over some RR tracks, for the weekend they are all coming off.
    Doing a few more checks on fluids and such and then perhaps get it cleaned up

guthriesmith likes this.
  29. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

My hubcaps have little teeth on the arms that needed a gentle bend out with a pair of pliers.

They now take a fairly decent kick to get them to seat on the wheel properly.

Bruce A Lyke and guthriesmith like this.
  30. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

The car made the 3 trips to BBT50"s without issues
    That was the goal when I purchased the unfinished project in September
    It was a good time.

Attached Files: