Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 Chevy Rear Quarter ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yanksta, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Yanksta

Yanksta

Hey Everyone,
    Sorry I don't have any pics but i have a question or two. I have a 1952 Chevy car and of course the lower rear quarters are rusted out like normal. I have gotten an ems patch panel and i read somewhere some time ago that the end where it goes into the door jam is not like the factory and they would cut it off a few inches before the jam and weld it in. Can any of you verify this before i cut the door jam side off this high dollar panel. i also need to replace the rocker so this will leave about 7 or 8 inches in between the 2 panels that is original. This is my first panel approve ever so i want to do it the easiest best way. I was going to cut the side off and step it with my stepper and then cleco it to the car. then i was going to use a cut off wheel to cut alone the stepped edge while tac welding it and removing clecos along the way. Is this the way everyone else would do it sorry for the questions but this looks like something that wouldn't be to hard. i need to replace all 3 cab supports, rocker, and lower rear quarters on both sides of my car then i should be rust free!!!

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I don't know if that is true or not about the fit at the jamb....but you should be able to determine that without cutting up your patch panel to find out. A careful measurement and maybe cardboard patterns made to fit both parts should illustrate any potential conflicts.

On the actual fitting, you could do it the way you suggest...but there are "panel clips" available that are very helpful in butting the two together. Check Eastwood or some other tool suppliers to see what they are and how they work. Easier than trying to describe it here.

Ray

3. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

You will find that the jambs on the patch panel aren't as sharp, or "crisp", as stock. If your jamb areas are in good shape, you can cut the patch panel about 1/2 to 1 inch behind the first bend.