Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1952 Chevy 3 Window Truck Chopped...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yaril, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Yaril

Yaril

hello again! my good friend John wanted to build an AD truck, however he wanted his to be flavored more in the kustom world.

let me get us up to date...

late last year or so i 4-linked and bagged his S-10 frame. i think this was the "last" job i did at my house. i was in between shop spaces at the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nothing fancy just clean straight forward stuff

[​IMG]

most of the parts came from my pal DW up in Canada, Welder series.

after a few months he decided to let me chop the cab. like most of my chops i like subtle factory looking lines, so we only removed enough to line up the back window on the belt-line, therefore all glass is equal height.

[​IMG]

yes i like hack saws or cutting wheels, i dont like to chop with reciprocating saws.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Yaril

Yaril

more work on chop...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

he also decided to have me lead work the areas that needed it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

afterwards we epoxy primered and yellow high build primered

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then cab was stripped to metal and epoxied. along with front end parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so monday night we finally brought the truck back after sitting at his house for months. this time the goal is to put EVERYTHING together and DRIVE!

like most of my goals they seem unreachable, even to me at times. but as retarded as it sounds we want to drive this truck to Austin, TX for the Lonestar Roundup leaving Miami April 7th.

step one, mount motor trans and cab, we want to lay running boards flat on the ground so all mounts will be made to fit. we began this task last night. i hope to have it welded / fabbed by tonight.

[​IMG]

wish us luck! we will need it!!!

Yaril

3. You better stop by Tampa on your way back from Austin... hahaha

4. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

Love it, love it, love it.

5. 52Poncho

52Poncho

Awesome chop, can't wait for the rest! :cool:

6. Dude!!! kickass truck...cant wait to see it in Austin.

7. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Would be awesome if you did a truck 'version' of your car.. same color and interior scheme, same tires and hubcaps.. etc... at least that's what I think.. :p

8. nice chop clean and not squished, glad to see the back window is not tiny.

9. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i love these deadline projects. nice chop.

10. whid

whid

cool....subscribed........whid

11. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

You rule...

12. Yaril

Yaril

thanks everyone!!!

some progress, the rear end we decided to swap out. so new 4-link brackets, air bag and panhard bar brackets need to be welded, thanks Welder Series!

[​IMG]

got the rear end installed with a few welds, more welds later when we remove it for paint...

[​IMG]

i went under the cab and began trans cross member. the front motor mounts are installed. also checked space for under cab master cylinder with booster.

[​IMG]

we bolted on front fenders n rad support for better mock up. removed inner rear fender brace so that the 6.70s would fit when all down.

[​IMG]

i think tomorrow i can wrap up trans cross member. measure driveshaft length so it can be made and put cab on final place while checking all other sheet metal so that running boards meet the floor.

13. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Looking pretty sweet so far

14. Babyearl

Babyearl

That's X2

15. Great work! Keep up the pace!

16. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Ahhh... I love 6.70's

17. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Looking great as always Yaril! I hope you'll get it done in time!
    Attached is some inspiration for you, LeBeef's pickup from Sweden..one of my all time favorite pu's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

The red primer version was also awesome:

[​IMG]

19. Sweet ass truck!!

20. Yaril

Yaril

thanks everyone! Sondre i love that truck! its soo clean im digging the shoebox dash too!

quick recap of the weekend...

Saturday we spent the day taking the motor/trans and rear end out. i finished welding the rear end and we painted the frame and rear end. we also finished welding the motor mount brackets and trans cross memeber, painted them too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunday we went in and finished prepping the motor/trans for its paint job. we wanted it to pop a little so decided to go with Gloss White. also painted the 4-link and pan hard bar to match in white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that brings us to Monday night... reinstalled the rear end with the freshly painted 4-links and pan hard bar, also mounted the rear shocks. got the motor back in too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tonight we plan to begin installing engine accessories (water pump, fuel ext) finally make some cab mounts front and rear and install the rear airbags. that should be a good push forward.

21. wow, you are working really fast, keep up the fast quality work.

22. mace69

mace69
    from mass

Here we go again! Looks great Yaril

23. Mr. Chevrolet

Mr. Chevrolet
    from Canada

Beautiful job on the chop. How many inches did you end up taking out all together? Did you build your own brackets/mounts for the S-10 frame or did you buy a kit? Once again, excellent job...

24. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

25. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

It's looking really nice. Keep at it man.

26. Yaril

Yaril

dont remember inches, just put the stock back window on the belt line. thats what we wanted. yes making my own mounts, they are simple enough. pics on them soon.

thanks everyone for the kind motivating words!

progress for the past week was a bit weak. however it was progress non the less. we finally fabbed the cab mounts (i didnt snap pics, but will), mounted the air tank, fitted the stock brake pedal cause we are going to do an under cab master cylinder (more on that this week), got the cab off the frame and began the work of shaving the firewall, also got another coat of yellow primer on the roof. we also installed the airbags.

this week we will have lots more done, i promise.

i had to reposition the tank brackets and section them length and height to fit nice...

[​IMG]

my plan for firewall shaving a bit cleanner than welding up 50 plus holes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

roof in primer, making template for firewall, using 16 gauge metal i think for the fill, it should be nice and flat for a smooth finish...

[​IMG]

till next time!

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with that. Too many guys have that idea of if three inches looks perfect I'll take it six so it really looks chopped.

I'm following along on this one to see where it goes.

28. Yaril

Yaril

it should be going to Austin! in 2 weeks? wow i dont know if we can pull that one off!!!

29. Yaril

Yaril

well we have made more progress on the truck. we can officially say that it has brakes. we bent and installed all the hard lines and rebuilt the rear drums. with the master cylinder mounted under the cab on the frame we were able to bleed the brakes. then with the cab off we began floor repair work. the center floor section was left off so that we can fab a hump to clear the tranny. once that is finished the cab will come back off for undercoating ext.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we also sealed battery box hole and a few other holes we will not be using. next we will open a hole for the dual reservoir master on the driver floor.

this week we hope to have exhaust intalled and the cab finally mounted once and for all so that we can begin electrical installation and steering connections.

30. ...very nice build ya got goin.