Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 Styleline / sbc and muncie 3 spd conversion

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by BrummDaddy, Jan 17, 2018.

1. BrummDaddy

BrummDaddy

I have a 51 styleline I pulled the 216 and 3 spd out and am putting in a 350 chevy and 3.42 posi rear out of a nova in. I am setup to put my TH350 trans in but still torn about not having 3 on tree manual anymore. Just found a rebuilt 3 spd muncie out of a big block 58 biscayne and am wondering if I can put that in instead of the th350 without too much headache? Was hoping somone has gone down this path already and can shed some light.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. Welcome to the H.A.M.B.
    Go do a proper intro.
    Ditch the 3 in the tree and put the 350 in.

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

INTROS ARE NO LONGER "REQUIRED", and it's been that way for a couple/few years now. Maybe that needs to be addressed in a thread in and of itself? And, why risk chasing someone off on their very first post?

A stock 3 speed from a 58, is basically the same one used by the 49-54 cars; the open vs closed driveline is the biggest difference (there are others). There is very little room for exhaust on the drivers side as is with a V-8 swap, and trying to install a column shift manual transmission linkage probably is't really very likely; most use a floor shift. If you're going to go with a manual transmission, go with at least one with full synchros, such as the later Saginaw's 3 and 4 speeds, the 69-74 HD Muncie 3 speeds, Muncie and B/W 4 speeds, and then the really later model 5 and 6 speed overdrive transmissions. There are a couple more odd ball 3 speeds GM used, but they are hard to find now. The clutch linkage in these 49-54 cars is rather unique, and requires some adapting to really get it right. Simplest would be to go with the TH350 you planned on. There is a member over on ChevyTalk.Org, that has installed a 350 SBC in his 50 2 door sedan, and kept the stock 3 speed and column shift; he goes by Deans50 in the 49-54 forum over there. To do his swap required more than just removing some of the firewall supports; a lot of firewall beating in/massaging was needed. Welcome to JJ/the HAMB, there are lots of 49-54 cars and owners here. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. studebaker46

studebaker46

56sedandelivery thanks for the reply some of posters are getting too politically correct, I thought that was what we try too avoid. brummdaddy welcome too the hamb lot of good info here Tom

5. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Dang... traditional now means two pedals and a bellybutton trans.. ? Brother, if you want a stick, set it up for a stick! Once the motor is located and the bellhousing/clutch linkage sorted out, you can upgrade after you enjoy scattering that old muncie. It's like burning a flag when it's getting tattered, send that old gearbox out with a bang! Either way, I'd love pictures... the headshrinks claim we boys are "visually stimulated".

31hotrodguy likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It can be done but there may be a few forehead dents in the sheetrock in the garage wall before it's all working right. As 56sedandelivery said everything wants to take up the same space and there isn't a whole lot of space available right there.
    One thing that might help would be to run the single exhaust on the V8 with crossover pipe or turn the crossover pipe into part of the rerouted normally left side dual pipe and run both pipes down the right side. That would give more elbow room in the bellhousing/trans area.

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  7. BrummDaddy

BrummDaddy

Thanks for the info Butch. That's what I was kind of wondering about these 3 speeds. I will probably just stick with my th350 plan for now and if when I'm done doing the L99 (LS3) and 6L80E swap plus air ride, body work that's left and paint on my 54 maybe I'll take more of an undertaking on the 51. She's just my driver for now. Beat the old 216 babbit beater down the hiways this last summer going to shows and the clutch and rear main are in pretty bad shape. Sad thing is the motor starts right up and runs good. Just pee's oil and slips like an old lady on ice.

8. BrummDaddy

BrummDaddy

Thank you. Been following the HAMB for a while now.

9. BrummDaddy

BrummDaddy

Thanks for the feedback! It is greatly appreciated!

10. BrummDaddy

BrummDaddy

Thanks for encouragement! I figured that's what I'd be up against

11. BrummDaddy

BrummDaddy

My name is Tim, favorite color is clear, and I like to eat crayons. Oh, and it's been real, it's been fun but it aint been real fun :)

12. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Put a full Syncro Saginaw in it.

An easy way to hook up the column shift and make it smoother, is to throw away the linkages and use 2 x shifter cables that Japanese vans have
    They have forward mounted Floor shifts and mid mounted gearbox.[ google image "Hi-ace shift cables"]
    The cable brackets would be a no brainer

Three on the tree is the "new cool"

13. BrummDaddy

BrummDaddy

Good idea. Thanks for the share!