Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Plymouth steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Francranbrook, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Francranbrook

Francranbrook

Hey,

I just bought a '51 Cranbrook. The previous owner saved it from the crusher and turned it into a hot rod. For the sake of getting it on the road, he dropped in a rack and pinion from some unknown doner. Now it has crazy bump-steer over 20 mph. I have to remove the rack and pinion to fix a leaky oil pan gasket on the early 350. Trying to keep the costs low, does anyone have suggestions on a better steering option? I want to have the car highway ready in time for the Rat Fink Reunion in Manti, Utah the end of May.

Thanks.
    John

2. Finadk

Finadk

Do you have a picture of the setup. I am in the process if installing a rack from a 90's Cavalier in my 56 Dodge. Id like to see what was done to your car.
    The Cavalier rack is a center steer rack and should keep a lot of the original geometry and resolve the bump steer issues.

Pics of my mockup are at:
    http://s1219.beta.photobucket.com/user/Finadk/library/

Thanks
    Scott

3. Francranbrook

Francranbrook

I will put up some pictures as soon as I can get it into the garage. Right now my daughter's Suzuki is taking up the car spot.

John

4. Finadk

Finadk

Thanks. In using the Cavalier rack I had to have some custom spacers machined to adapt the metric bolts to a 5/8 him for the inner tie rod. I am wresteling with starter clearance and header interference,but Im finally pretty close.
    Scott

5. Francranbrook

Francranbrook

I haven't gotten any pictures because my starter burned a wire. Whatever the previous owner used, doesn't fit well. He had to cut away part of the frame to get the steering to fit. The steering doesn't have a lot of weird angles or anything, so that might not be the cause of my issue. I think I am either going back to stock, or I am going to find something like an S-10 to use the front clip from. Let me know how yours goes. I really wouldn't hack up the frame though. I'm afraid mine might crack if I hit a hard bump.

6. 35desoto

35desoto

If the original suspension is in good order please keep it - they ride very well when in good order and the change to the S10 does not always give a better ride - a lot of work for very little gain - the steering issue i cant help you with without some pics so we can understand the problem visually better. Bump steer normally comes about through turning angles and not normally speed related yet I suppose what you are saying is that it is noticeable over 20mph because you can feel and see the suspension and steering wheel fight each other

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Center-steer Caviler rack, Saginaw TC pump from the donor car. Check out the Fatman site for pictures. Duplicate.

http://www.fatmanfab.com/ifstrick.php

The TC pump it the same housing, hopped-up, that the track guys like. You can get a bracket to bolt it to the head of the 350, and a v-belt pulley too, from most race suppliers, like Speedway.

While you are in there, relocate the top shock mount to the frame, instead of the upper control arm.

I like to add a Jeep Cherokee front anti-sway bar (1") to these. Other than those two mods (plus the steering, in your case), the stock suspension works just fine, even at 80 MPH.

8. n847

n847

agree with everyone else...clipping a car with good suspension is way to much work, for way too little return! This has been covered quite frequently here on the HAMB and has been covered even more frequently lately...I think people are finally realizing the potentail of these cars! If the frame has been cut just go back and add some gussets, plates, and steel. You could wind up with a stronger frame than before.

Lower it cheap! http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...?t=685246Heres
    a shock relocation on the cheap!http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...nts+moparHeres
    a disc brake conversion on the cheap!http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...?t=702258Heres
    the Cavilear R&P steering swap on the cheap!http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ht=rack+pinion

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My trademark anti sway bar upgrade, all in, is under a hundred, too!

10. n847

n847

gimpy do you have a link to your sway bar upgrade? I've seen pictures of it before but I can't find it now...I'd like to add it to my list!

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will have to dig it out. I'm on the train ride to work right now.
    Edit: Can't find it either. I will find the pictures in my archive and post them, when I get home.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  12. Big-O

Big-O

On my 56 Plymouth, I just redid the stock stuff and it does a great job. The nonpower has been much easier to deal with and tons of grease fittings. As long as you don't mind operating a grease gun, go back to stock.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will have to dig out the backup drive, but here's a detail shot. It is the only one I could find, right off. The bar gets mounted upside down from the OEM application:

[​IMG]

14. philjafo

philjafo
    from right here

Gimpy, I like that anti-sway bar, looks like the same bolt holes as the stock bar. What is that bar from?

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeep Cherokee '84-'01,1". Mounted upside down. You have to drill 4 holes, and make two lower mounts. I make the lowers from 2" x 2" split in half, drilled to the size of the end link bushing shoulder. As shown on the lower control arm, in the picture.

16. kennkat

kennkat

Looks "OEM" Gimpy, very nice swap! I have an application question... Looking at the pic the '51 Cranbrook frame/suspension layout looks very similar if not the same as the '55 Imperial... Is it? The '55 Imperial I am working on now sure could benefit from this... Hmmm....:):):)

17. n847

n847

Thanks Gimpy!

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is similar. If you could measure the frame rail width, on-center, and let me know, I could compare it.

19. kennkat

kennkat

I measured the frame it is 35 5/8" wide with about a 2" wide flange on the 55 Imperial 2 door chassis. Thanx "Gimpy"

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Jeep bar workd from about 30"-32" frame rail centerers, so a little narrow for you, unless you made offset mounts.

21. jcs64

jcs64

gimpy,
    I know im digging up an old thread here but I searched and cant find any pics or a build thread that shows the sway bar install. Any help?

jeff

22. desertdroog

desertdroog

23. I know I'm digging up a very old thread but was hoping to pick someones brain. just ordered fat mans kit to put rack an pinion in my 51 cranbrook. really wondering how you did steering shaft, also anybody make there own shock relocation brackets? fat man says I cant use theres without using there drop spindles