Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Nash Rambler Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D_Lazaris, Oct 11, 2010.

1. farna

farna

That hood "bubbles" up a bit -- there may be enough room to stack two filters under there. Good idea...

2. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

That is a good idea about doubling the filters I may make my own filter element myself so I can make it taller to help. Still looking for a jag air cleaner canister type to use, they do look good.

Little update: (haven't had time to work on the Nash because of our house fire :()

But got my HAMB firewall tag in today!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  3. farna

farna

Hope the fire wasn't bad!

4. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

No thank God it wasn't! A light short circuited in my room and it went up in flames, luckily it was just carpet and smoke damage.

I got second degree burns and my dad got third degree burns... But we shall live to see another day! My girlfriend saved my hot rod inspired bathroom that has all my collectables. None of the collectables got damaged but the walls got pretty scorched!

Just make sure everyone has fire extinguishers NOT just in your garage/shop area! (like us!)

5. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Ramblers too, suspension cradle unit, real easy in and out <grin>, all you had to do was ask one of us old farts.

6. farna

farna

I like the way he ended up removing the engine. With the front clip off the upper crossmember was easy enough to remove, and he did it PROPERLY, not hacked up as I've seen in the past. It will need to be welded back in -- bolts would work loose. But it sure does open things up with that upper crossmember out of the way!

7. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Yeah it was a real pain to get out and I didn't want to have big grind marks into the fender wells.

I still need to figure how to get if back on though.. It hits the supercharger on the drivers side, and if I lower the bar it will hit the belt.

8. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Now for the little stuff...

Drilled and tapped a hole in the manifold for the vacuum for the supercharger.

[​IMG]

Fuel lines are ran to the carbs from the fuel block for good now.

[​IMG]

Started running heater hoses

[​IMG]

Was going to get the heater back in the car but it was too windy to paint today the front cover, so I'll get it finished tomorrow morning.

The little things...

9. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Got the heater core attached and the windshield wiper hooked up.

Getting closer everyday...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

Look'n hot hot hot !

11. roll_low

roll_low
    from Rigby, Id

This is going to be so cool!!

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Awesome build, love that body style

13. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Not sure there will be too much progress in the next few weeks (except for anything I can do for free) most of my Nash project money went to my girlfriend today!!!!

She just had to have a new car to work on and she had to have this t-bucket project haha. It's a steel 1925 in great shape, came with the pink slip, And we are putting a y-block in it...

Gonna have no time for the Nash!!! No no no... That will never happen, just bare with me.

[​IMG]

14. Good on ya for choosin a Y-Block for your girls car.

15. farna

farna

Ya just gotta keep the girl happy sometimes!
    I wonder how many people realize the cables on each side and below the heater are for the windshield wipers?

16. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Haha yeah I know!

When I first saw the cables I didn't know what they were till I pulled down on one and the wiper blade moved. Very interesting design.

17. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

It was that or a flathead but I already have a y block that runs. And our goal is next years antique nationals.

18. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

It's looking better all the time. Can't wait for the next installment.

Mike

19. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Anyone have any idea where I can get a toploader shifter for the t96 tranny?

Or is there a toploader I can adapt?

20. farna

farna

Wow, that might be tough! I've been told that some of the early Jeeps with F-head fours may have used a T-96 with a top loader, but that's the only one I have ever heard of.

A "universal" three speed floor shifter should work. If you have OD the brackets will take some work, but without OD adapting the brackets (may still have to do some bending/drilling) should be easy enough to make fit.

21. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Hmmm I'll have to look into that. No rush on that, column shift will be okay for now haha

22. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

Damn, I love this thing. All vintage speed parts, too cool!

23. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Thanks!!

24. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Hey look what showed up on my doorstep today!

[​IMG]

25. farna

farna

It's nice to go, but being able to stop really is essential!! ;>

26. rjason

rjason

27. farna

farna

The early cars like yours had a flat stamped metal brace. All but early 63 models and all 63 hardtops and convertibles (61-62 converts too, maybe...) use a tubular brace. The tubular brace is bent forward on the ends to run just behind the forward sheet metal. Don't have a photos, but you could easily make a tubular brace bent to clear the super charger. You could mount it higher or lower if necessary. A piece of tubing won't interfere with the radiator much, and can be bent up in the center to clear the fan if necessary. You DO need a brace there.

28. Cymro

Cymro

Nice project, only spotted it today, I'm looking forward to seeing it run.

29. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Sorry guys it's been so slow we've been working on our dragster for the Motorama.

I did get all the fabric wiring in though so I can start running all that. It's getting close fellas...

ImageUploadedByTJJ1315955409.643705.jpg

30. olpaul

olpaul

My folks bought a 60 Nash brand new. Looks exactly like yours. The local wrecking yard pulled in a early big bathtub Nash last year complete. The back seats folded down. It had the pod speedo and the ball shifter too. Cool old car.