Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Nash Rambler Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D_Lazaris, Oct 11, 2010.

1. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Haha thanks! I appreciate it!!

2. dgg-dt1948

dgg-dt1948

Great build. hope to see more pics soon!

3. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Yes, hopefully some more next week. I am still in the process of doing the brakes, Got the front done, but I didn't realize it but I bought 2 sets of the front!!! I haven't found any back ones yet, but I am going to see about relining the originals...

Then I need to pull the trans off again, and fix my silly mistake with the flywheel bolts being to long... Then hopefully more progress after that!!!!! :p:p:p

4. 'Mo

'Mo

You may have said, but is it a stock flywheel?
    Has it already been chopped? If not, how about now?

5. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Yeah, its the stock flywheel.

Not it hasn't been chopped. I'm not planning on in though. I really love the stock lines of the car, plus with that curved glass in the back.... ehhh I dont have the money for that right now.:eek:

6. B Blue

B Blue

Great build, always like to see something different, and this IS different!

One question, you mentioned the SC shifts speeds by changing the pulley diameter, what have you done to handle the resulting change in belt length?

Bill

7. 'Mo

'Mo

LOL. I meant , Has the flywheel been chopped (lightened) and balanced?
    It seems that the quicker rev response might work well with the turbo(?)

I'll soon take delivery of two flywheels that I have had chopped for use with Chevy 216's.
    They may cost in terms of engine smoothness, but I enjoy quick response, (de-celeration included.) And they are much easier on the driveline.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  8. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

HA, I read that wrong! No no it has not. Never actually thought about it, for this engine (we have done it with our dragster), but I didn't think much of it for the Nash. Does make sense with the turbo/supercharger. Getting quicker revs would definitely help.

Well since I'm pulling the flywheel off, might as well huh?

9. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

thats gonna be a neat cruiser, they were good little cars when new, and they are a rare scene today. One thing in favor with the overdrives is you have 6 ratios to choose from and work good on long hills or the mountains.

10. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

I haven't built a tensioner yet, At first I am going to run just 1-1 ratio and see how that goes..

Yeah, this car is going to be a driver. I really am surprised how little I see today.

11. farna

farna

The old overdrives don't work like that. You can't split shift them with the factory wiring. I've wired one in the past so it could be split shifted, but it wasn't worth it. They used a standard three speed in front of the OD, and 1+OD is way too close to 2nd, and 2+OD is way too close to 3rd to do any good. There was one exception -- the Rambler "Twin-Stick". That was a standard three speed shifter with an OD in-out stick beside it. The second stick was really just a gimmick -- it just took the place of the under dash cable, which could just as easily been used. The shifter had the kick-down button on top of it so you could easily kick OD out when shifting. The trans was standard though. It had a big gap between 2nd and 3rd gears. If you shifted it without using 2+OD it would really bog -- like shifting a manual five speed from 3rd to 5th. The Twin-Stick was shifted 1/2/2+OD/3/3+OD -- five forward speeds (still wasn't practical to split first gear). It didn't shift very fast, and took a little practice, but for 1963 it was pretty cool. Rambler made Twin-Stick from 63-65. It was replaced late in the 65 model year with the T-10 four speed in the big cars (Classic and Ambassador), dropped after 65 in the American. The Twin-Stick was used on all engines, T-10 just behind V-8s.

12. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Alright everyone I need your help! I got brake shoe material to re-line them but they are a little off! So here are my questions...

A) they are plain and simple the wrong ones?

B) they are right I just don't know the way of shaping them to the shoe without breaking them in little pieces..

C) they are the wrong ones, but there is an old hotrod trick of making them work.

I feel they are the right ones though because the rivet holes will line up if it were to bend to the shoe.

Here's a picture.. There are not too far off

ImageUploadedByTJJ1323485997.678188.jpg

13. m.kozlowski

m.kozlowski

My friend recently purchased old brake shoe oven for relining his brake shoes on a vintage trolley... So maybe heating them is the answer?

14. farna

farna

Heating might work, or you might have the wrong material. I don't think I'd try relining myself unless I had to. There should be an industrial clutch and brake relining service in your area. Try the yellow pages. You might want to read this site too, it seems to have some good advice for the DIY guy. Might want to contact them about the lining they sell. Primarily for motorcycles, but the lining material may be wide enough for a car. http://www.benchmarkworks.com/articles/howto/brake.html

15. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

There is an old clutch and brake re-lining gentleman here in Arkansas. I'm sure there is someone in CA. that does this type of work. If not, I'll get you in contact with this guy.

16. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

Undercar parts in Pasadena will reline them...I had to do it on my Rambler..I have the slightly bigger Nash brakes...

17. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Great Thanks! I am going to try a place in Riverside tomorrow morning.. hope it works out.

Saw your Nash again on Sat. at Mooneyes! We were racing so I didn't have time to stop by and say hi though... :(

18. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

I think I will make the GNRS..so stop by if you go!:)

19. Hemirrhoid

Hemirrhoid
    from Wisconsin

Cool, good to see another '51 Nash ramblerrising from the ashes. Love the direction you're going. Keep the pictures coming!

20. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Sorry that there hasn't been any updates. I was planning on really pushing on getting it done the last month, but haven't had anytime because....

I ended up getting a Model A! I know what your thinking... Finish the Nash first then move on to the Model A! Well I ended up selling my OT daily driver for it. I was going to have to end up putting some money into it for computer systems and smog... So decided to get a Model A for a daily. Parts are everywhere, and easy to get. They are super easy to work on, and great gas mileage!

So just hold on. A few more weeks getting the Model A to where I need it, then its full steam ahead on the Nash. I WILL have it running at the Antique Nationals this year in June... fingers crossed!!!!

[​IMG]
    IMG_0896 by Dimitri Lazaris, on Flickr

21. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Beautiful Model-A Dimitri...I don't blame you. Looks like a great ride!

22. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Cool Nash, I love where you're going with it.
    Kick-ass A too, congrats on trading off a newer O/T ride for a better one

23. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Thanks! It is deff better than my OT ride.

24. flatford39

flatford39

Nice sedan...but you might be somwhat dissapointed with the gas mileage.

25. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Its way better than my daily Jeep I had!

26. five-duece-chevy

five-duece-chevy
    from PA

Cool build thread, can't wait to see it run!

27. farna

farna

No work in two months?

28. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

I know... I know.... I'll be back with it soon. Worse thing is, is that it's so close!

29. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Good news... Bad news...

Bad news is we are not going to be able to make it up to Eagle Field this weekend... we were really looking forward to it but just can't do it right now...

BUT the good news is, I am dedicating the weekend to the Nash! So watch for updates!

30. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Love this bathtub Ramblers, very cool.