Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 mercury power brakes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fittyford, Oct 18, 2012.

1. fittyford

fittyford
    from Oregon

Ok, fellow merc owners I am in the middle of project "Daily driver" on my 51
    And am getting close. My car is on a 1968 or 9 chevelle frame with drums and I'm putting dropped spindles and discs in front.Ok now the big ? Someone started a swing pedal set up from a caddy in it and I need to get a booster and master cylinder for it and the space for the booster is really tight does anyone have this done and if so what booster/master did you use?Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

If there's no room under the hood, you might consider an old timey Hydro-Vac. They were used on most medium duty trucks and I believe they are still used on many motorhomes. Mount under the floor, run the output of your existing master cylinder to the input of the remote Hydro-Vac, run a vacuum hose and VOILA! Outa sight and outa mind.

3. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

On my 49 Merc. (on an 80 Malibu frame) I used one from the 80 Malibu but I had plenty of room ?

4. fittyford

fittyford
    from Oregon

Ended up finding a hydroboost at my freinds shop got i mounted, and i think
    it is going to work great. Thanks for the help dale.