Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Mercury Coupe We're Working On

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldtimerodder72, Mar 22, 2009.

1. I like the fade away line, it'll really play up the extensions on the tail lights.

2. eliguzman

eliguzman

that is some top notch metal work...i will definitely be following this build...keep up the cool work

3. cisco88

cisco88

WOW! Build is looking great. Keep them coming.

4. This section deals with the making of the garnish mouldings and shortened vent window assembly.

[​IMG]

Here is the completed passenger side door moulding after modification.

[​IMG]

Here is the completed passenger side quarter garnish moulding after modification.

[​IMG]

Another view of the passenger quarter garnish moulding.

[​IMG]

Another door garnish moulding picture.

[​IMG]

Completed driver side quarter garnish moulding.

[​IMG]

Another driver side quarter garnish moulding photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is an indication of how much the roof has been chopped. This is the outter stainless quarter window trim.

[​IMG]

Comparision of front vent windows. On the left is the stock vent window frame, while the modified piece is on the right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photo showing the modifications to the back of the driver side quarter garnish moulding.

[​IMG]

Modification to the front of the back side of the quarter garnish moulding.

[​IMG]

Modification to the inside back corner of the quarter garnish moulding.

[​IMG]

5. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photo of the test fitting of the passenger side vent window.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photo of the test fitting of the passenger side quarter garnish moulding from the outside.

[​IMG]

6. More fadeaway pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3/4 rear view taken from the driver side showing completed fadeaway. Silver tape is on quarter panel to give me an idea of the shape lead solder after final shaping

[​IMG]

Photo of completed driver side fadeaway taken from the front.

[​IMG]

Photo taken from the driver side, showing completed fadeaway before lead solder was applied to the rear quarter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3/4 view taken from the passenger side showing the tape line for the fadeaway. The quarter panel has already been modified.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  7. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford

wow! incredible work

8. Ok folks, here's the rest of the pictures dealing with the fadeaway for the time being. Was to Keith's today to see the grille in its close to final form, and all I can say is wow! Don't worry those pictures will be coming soon enough. Car will be out of his shop within the next month. Then it's on to the painters for the body and sheetmetal, and to my shop for the chassis, engine and transmission installation.

[​IMG]

Here we see a photo of the completed door skin for the passenger side. You can now get a better idea as to the flow of the fadeaway.

[​IMG]

Another good angle showing the fadeaway to advantage.

[​IMG]

Shot from the passenger side rear.

[​IMG]

Another one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Closeup of the quarter panel modifications. Note how the bottom corner has been extended under the door.

[​IMG]

Closeup showing the completed modified door skin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

All I can say is that I hope my Merc turns out 1/2 as good.

Do you have any more photos showing how you reformed the stainless around the windows as well as re- shaping the vent window frames ?

10. Hey Caddy -O. The stainless around the windows has yet to be reformed. I will be posting pictures at that point. Also, there are more photos of the re-shaping the vent windows, but they're not in my possession at the present time.

11. Here's some shots of the trunk corner rounding.

[​IMG]

Shot of the passenger side trunk corner after rounding.

[​IMG]

And now for the driver side.

[​IMG]

Driver side trunk corner seam after modification.

[​IMG]

Modification to the driver side body trunk corner showing installation of drainage channel.

[​IMG]

Another view.

[​IMG]

passenger side trunk corner seam after modification.

[​IMG]

Modification to the passenger side body trunk corner showing installation of drainage channel.

12. Here's the process of rounding the hood corners, door corners and some nice shots of the hand made fender skirts......... enjoy!

[​IMG]

Here is a photo of the back edge of the hood. The back of the hood was rounded, and the part that once wrapped around to the door has now been welded to the cowl.

[​IMG]

Driver side front fender where it meets the grille surround. The area where the parking light used to mount has been smoothed and filled.

[​IMG]

Same area, only this time on the passenger side.

[​IMG]

Passenger side showing rounding to the back of the hood. Also see how the original hood back section has been welded to the cowl.

[​IMG]

The lower corner of the front fender has been extended into the rocker panel area.

[​IMG]

Area of the cowl showing lead solder that was added after the back portion of the hood had been welded to the cowl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Detailed shot of the passenger side hood hinge mechanism.

[​IMG]

Detailed shot of the driver side hood hinge mechanism.

[​IMG]

Added material to the modified back edge of the hood as seen from the driver side.

[​IMG]

Modification to the driver side front hood corner.

[​IMG]

Modification to the passenger side front hood corner.

[​IMG]

Area where piece is required to fit the contour of the hood on the passenger side.

[​IMG]

Area where piece is required to fit the contour of the hood on the driver side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Passenger side photo showing modifications to the cowl area and hood.

[​IMG]

Driver side photo showing modifications to the cowl area and hood.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  13. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photo showing the lower driver side fender extension into the rocker panel.

[​IMG]

Driver side door gap after final adjustment and modification.

[​IMG]

Door gap at windshield post on driver side.

[​IMG]

Passenger side door gap before final adjustment and modification.

[​IMG]

Passenger side photo of the fabricated and test installed flush mounted fender skirt.

[​IMG]

Driver side photo of the fabricated and test installed flush mounted fender skirt

[​IMG]

Picture of the back of the hood to cowl gap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  14. poorboy

poorboy

amazing work! keep us updated

15. All I can say is WOW.

16. sdbcivic

sdbcivic
    from West Ga.

I wish I had the ability to do 1/3 of this to my 50 ford!
    gonna be super nice when finished I bet.

17. We are now getting closer to how the body appears currently. The next few postings will deal with the front end modifications. Overall the car is coming along quite nicely. I am very pleased with the results.

[​IMG]

Here we have the test fitting of the grille and the mocking up of the front bumper.

[​IMG]

Here the driver side headlight ring has been tacked in place. The tape is used to help hold the ring while centering.

[​IMG]

Here the passenger side headlight ring has been tacked in place. The tape is used to help hold the ring while centering.

[​IMG]

Closeup of the test fitting of the grille.

[​IMG]

Closeup of the passenger side parklight housing. As will be seen in the finished grille pictures, the appearance of the parklight housing was inspired by 1950s jet fighter styling.

[​IMG]

Closeup of the driver side parklight housing. As will be seen in the finished grille pictures, the appearance of the parklight housing was inspired by 1950s jet fighter styling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Very nice workmanship of course! I think Harry Bradley would like this car.

19. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

wow keep'em comin!!

20. richie rebel

richie rebel

i second the wow, bad ass metal work,i love this thread,keep the pics coming.....richie.....

21. the duke

the duke

very nice work, very inspiring

22. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Thanks for the photos - really improves my day.
    I love seeing custom metal work, especially when it's done by a master.

23. brown n down

brown n down

24. MeteorMan

MeteorMan

Man, I wish my hands could produce that level of craftsmanship!
    I agree with Cleatus, this makes my day to see this.
    Thanks for the updates!

25. studeboy

studeboy

The grill is gonna be the crowning jewel on this masterpiece. I love it. Can't wait for more. I'll wait here!!!

Eric

26. I am loving all the pics.
    Especially details from many angles.
    It gives a great perspective on the final product.
    Keep it coming thanks..

27. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Wow. :eek: It's really amazing metal work!

One question- do you have any shots of the car without the skirts? And any detail shots of the area behind the skirt in the quarter, with the skirts off, and some of the backsides of the skirts? I'd like to see how that was all fabbed as well...

Keep posting!!! :D

28. Hi all. Continuing on with our look at the front end modifications, we are getting closer to the final product.

[​IMG]

At this point the final shape of the bumper has been decided upon. This picture shows the test fitting of the bumper and the final shape.

[​IMG]

Head on view of the front. Giving a good idea of how the final front end detail will look.

[​IMG]

View looking somewhat down on the front bumper, grille and front pan. The decision was made this day to do something with the pan that runs under the grille to make it a little more impressive than flat sheet metal.

[​IMG]

Passenger side view of the front end modifications.

[​IMG]

Passenger side closeup of the grille. Chrome has been stripped from the grille ends, and extra copper plating has been ended to the grille center section.

[​IMG]

Driver side closeup of the grille.

[​IMG]

Passenger side view showing peaking of bumper and grille to good effect. Also note the lead solder has been applied to the fadeaway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Closeup of the complete front end area.

[​IMG]

View taken from more of the driver side. The lead solder has not been applied to this side as of yet.

[​IMG]

Another head on shot.

[​IMG]

Lower view taken from the driver side to highlight the grille and front bumper.

[​IMG]

Closeup of the driver side grille bullet.

[​IMG]

Closeup of the passenger side grille bullet.

[​IMG]

Closeup taken from slightly above showing the driver side end of the bumper.

[​IMG]

Closeup taken from slightly above showing the passenger side end of the bumper.

[​IMG]

Photo showing closeup of the back edge of the bumper as taken from the passenger side. Also, how the bumper is going to fit to the shape of the pan that runs under the grille.

[​IMG]

Photo taken from slightly above of the passenger side bumper end in relation to corner of the fender.

29. [​IMG]

Photo showing closeup of the back edge of the bumper as taken from the driver side. Also, how the bumper is going to fit to the shape of the pan that runs under the grille.

[​IMG]

Photo taken from slightly above of the driver side bumper end in relation to corner of the fender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back corner of the bumper from the passenger side. Bumper had additional material added to back corner to keep bumper lower than side of front pan.

[​IMG]

Photo taken from in the front wheel opening of the back of the front pan and bumper, as seen from the passenger side.

[​IMG]

Photo taken from slightly above showing how all elements blend together.

[​IMG]

Photo of the raised panel detail in relation to the front fender and grille surround meeting.

[​IMG]

View from the passenger side front of the raised panel detail in the front under grille pan.

[​IMG]

View taken from the driver side of the front pan detail.

[​IMG]

Back corner of the bumper from the driver side. Bumper had additional material added to back corner to keep bumper lower than side of front pan.

[​IMG]

Photo taken from in the front wheel opening of the back of the front pan and bumper, as seen from the driver side.

[​IMG]

Head on view of the front pan raised panel detail.

[​IMG]

Close up of the front pan raised panel detail.

[​IMG]

View of the front pan from slightly above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  30. We're coming close to the end of my posts for this thread. I am almost to the point where I have posted all the pictures up to date. So watch now as we take another big leap forward in the front end modifications. In this installment, the hood corners get finished, we finish the headlight frenching, and all seams get lead solder.

[​IMG]

Head on view of the completed front sheet metal modifications. Since the last post the headlights have been frenched, the hood corner pieces have been made for the body contouring, and everything has been welded and lead soldered.

[​IMG]

Completed, frenched and soldered passenger side headlight.

[​IMG]

View of the passenger side headlight taken from the side.

[​IMG]

View of the passenger side front fender and grille surround joint.

[​IMG]

A look at the completed front sheet metal modifications.

[​IMG]

Photo showing the completed hood corner on the passenger side.

[​IMG]

Photo showing the completed hood corner on the driver side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Completed, frenched and soldered driver side headlight. The inner trim ring is being fitted.

[​IMG]

View looking slightly up at the driver side frenched headlight. Also note the joined and soldered fender to grille surround joint.

[​IMG]

Photo showing the contouring of the frenched headlight. Holes in the grille surround is the mounting point for the grille.

[​IMG]

Front view showing the adjusted and modified hood gap. Also can see lower pan fabrication more clearly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Closeup of the driver side headlight.

[​IMG]

Closeup of the fender at grille surround in engine compartment on the passenger side.

[​IMG]

Closeup of the fender at grille surround in engine compartment on the driver side.

[​IMG]

Closeup of the lower front pan raised panel detail.