Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Mercury Coupe We're Working On... Engine Mockup.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldtimerodder72, Jul 26, 2009.

1. As we quickly approach the completion of the custom metalwork at Keith's, we now turn our attention to fitting the engine and fabricating engine/transmission mounts. The major body modifications have been completed, so now we are down to the final details.

For those of you who may be joining us now, I'll post the links to the other threads recording the building of this car;

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345525 Part I

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362784 Part II

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367347 Part III

Originally, I was going to run a 331 Cadillac OHV engine, but finding one that didn't have cracked cylinders was proving difficult. Also decided to select a hydromatic transmission as well. When we took dimensions of the motor/tranny combination, we could see that extensive modification was going to be required to make them fit.

After some thought and input from an old friend (Nick Rampling), I decided instead to utilize a 312 Y Block Ford and a Merc-O-Matic transmission combination in place of the Cadillac.

I knew Nick had run a 312 in his 50 Mercury Convertible back in the 1950s, so I thought it might be cool to pay homage to his Custom. Nick is a metal man in his own right and has provided some suggestions to make this car different. His main contribution being the narrowing of the rear bumper licence plate mounting location. To give a little insight into Nick's talents as a metal man, Keith had apprenticed under him back in the 90s. I value and respect Nick's input greatly, as I know Keith does too.

I was fortunate enough to pick up a complete 312 out of a 57 Ford. Mercuryland in Archer, Nebraska was able to provide me with a complete 55 vintage Merc-O-Matic. Now that we had the engine and transmission, we could give thought to checking fit.

[​IMG]

Frontal view of the engine lowered into place. Being as I was using an original set of Fenton exhaust manifolds, they were bolted on to check clearances. Already we can see potential issues with the generator hitting the crossmember and the battery box being in the way of the driver side exhaust manifold.

[​IMG]

View from the driver side showing angle at which motor would have to sit in the car. Also shows how the exhaust manifold would interfere with the battery box mounting location. The back of the block and transmission would be clear of the firewall.

[​IMG]

Clearance was not an issue on the passenger side. Again note the angle of the engine in the frame.

[​IMG]

Closeup showing firewall clearance at the back of the engine, as seen from the passenger side.

[​IMG]

Closeup showing firewall clearance at the back of the engine as seen from the driver side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Are those Fenton headers original or are they being reproduced,I am thinking about putting the Y block back in my 55 and the original manifolds seem to have a couple ears cracked off.

3. They are original. Y Block Fentons are not being reproduced

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Looking Awesome Jason!

What's a Y block?