Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Mercury Convertible found in field. Part it out or sell it as is?

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Bottom Shelf Bourbon, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Bottom Shelf Bourbon

Bottom Shelf Bourbon

Hello everyone. Just a heads up that I am brand new to the forum. In fact this is the First forum I’ve ever been on or a part of so my apologies in advance.

I am in need of advice/thoughts or any info on the 1951 Mercury convertible that I pulled out of a field in Idaho a couple of years ago. The car is a far cry from a survivor or anything I want to tear into. So therefore it has to go. It is the body only and was sitting upside down when I found it. The pillars, Windshield frame, most structure and mechanics of the convertible top and hood are toast but there are still some good useable parts left - I have read that only 6759 convertibles were produced in 51 and that there are only 50-60 known left.

So that being said my questions are - is it really that rare? is it of any value or desire for the “VIN number and title purposes alone” without the frame and drivetrain? is it simply just a pile of somewhat rare parts? Would I be smarter to sell it as it is or part it out? Or does it belong back in the field upside down again? I understand that this is a lot to ask with minimal information but any input will be much appreciated. Thanks

2. My Input.....Fill out you profile page to completion...Where do you live? your age?..

3. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Just a pile of parts? No motor or frame? If you have the title what does it match as 1951 vehicles did not have a vehicle vin # like modern cars. The # on the title matches either the engine or frame or body depending on state of registery.
    If body parts are not rusted out they are worth something but if rusted with holes not worth much.
    Complete your profile. Jimmie

4. Bottom Shelf Bourbon

Bottom Shelf Bourbon

Thank you for the replies Okay so I believe that I have completed my profile but If I have left anything out or if I can do anything else that helps please let me know as I really do appreciate any help and want to make things as easy as possible for those willing to help me out. I am way better with a hammer then I am with a keyboard.
    I actually don’t have a title for the car and need to look into Idaho laws for what or if it can be titled. The people that I got it from were the previous owners but have lost the title for it over the years. They would be willing to help me out with any paperwork or legal matters that I would need to get it. That is one of the things I am in question of. If it would be worth the time and effort at the DMV?
    There are some very usable sheet metal and stainless trim that I believe to be specific to the convertible. Are there people or “purists” out there that are looking for an original part from an original 51 convertible? And are these parts considered to have a higher repairabilty threshold for that reason?
    I am not looking to get rich or push a sale on anyone - I am basically just looking for any information or opinions about the car. Actually being a guy that loves showing my kids and seeing these old cars back on the road and seeing people taking the time to do it is what Its all about - and putting the right parts in the right peoples hands is what it takes to do that. Once again I thank you all for any help.

5. Have you looked on ebay, Hemmings or anywhere else to get an idea of availability of price range for the parts? Doesn't hurt to do a little research.;)

6. Do u have any pictures of the vehicle?

7. Guy hasn't been around since his last post in 2018.