Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Kaiser Drag'n build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NTAPHSE, Jun 13, 2008.

1. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Josh does some amazing work!

I used to own a 59 Zephyr, so it's really cool to me that you went with those rings!

2. mmmm chrome.

3. bigfive

bigfive
    from south L.A.

bad ass! makes me want to build a custom 50s again!

4. This car is turning out awesome! Definatly the coolest Kaiser ever. Period.

5. willinthe985

willinthe985
    from Houma, La

6. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

This is a great build. Makes me wonder how many other GREAT theads I've somehow missed?

7. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I know its been a long time since I've posted an update. I've been trying to get the front suspension done and back on the car, and also get the engine all wired and plumbed so it will run. Since I'm apparently OCD over every nut, bolt and wire, I've basically completely redone the engine bay. I scrapped the stock harness and installed a Painless engine harness, and used their powerbraid wire loom instead of the crappy plastic convoluted stuff. I also made up all new lines for the trans cooler, power steering, brakes, etc.

As of now things left to do before it will run are to add coolant, ATF and brake fluid, bleed brakes, run airlines through the firewall once I get some grommets, and cross fingers.

Here are some overdue pics. Not very exciting, but it's what I've been up to. I'm really hoping to have it running this week. Then all thats left is to install a few pieces of chrome and do the interior and glass. Easy right?

Fresh powdercoat, and all new bushings and balljoints.

[​IMG]

Closeup of the wire loom from Painless. Ends finished off with heatshrink wherever possible.

[​IMG]

Custom bent brake lines, rebuilt steering shaft, etc.

[​IMG]

Front suspension back together. I went from 1/2" to 3/8" air line to slow it down a bit. No sense in slamming to car against the asphalt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine shot with new wiring and plumbing. Almost ready to run.

[​IMG]

I also shortened the oil and trans dipsticks. Probably spent too much time on a minor detail but it drove me nuts to have the dipsticks 6" above the engine. Now I can burn my hands on the headers trying to check fluids.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. You are a very patient man! That car is so friggin' NICE! And, what an amazing amount of detail, to boot. Soooooo cool!

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

Those little details are very cool though and well worth it!! Nice job!

10. Damn... its all in the details man. Glad to see you update this thread.

11. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Compared to the Wheel Vintiques from Summit which appear to be smooth all the way around.

[​IMG]

Just noticed the Wheel Vintiques from Summit are 5 on 5/5.5. Can't seem to find the OE fitment with only the 5 on 5 pattern.[/QUOTE]

The wheels you are looking for are found at Pete paulsen on line I have them on my shoebox the center bullet is extra

12. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Thanks for the tip Hombres. Still gotta get the wheels and tires figured out, but that can wait till the end.

13. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Anytime my friend

14. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

Go Keith GO!! :cool: I can't wait to see the interior.

15. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Got all the steering installed, torqued to spec and greased. Also added some fluids. Never been so careful dumping ATF and brake fluid...

[​IMG]

Need to borrow a powerbleeder and grease gun with a flex hose from work tomorrow.

16. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Me too, there's lots of paint and chrome to install. Now if I can just figure out how to run this sewing machine... Learning to stitch should keep me busy and out of the heat this summer.

17. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Dang... Thats looking Sweet....

18. Jantrix

Jantrix

Wow. 40 pages and I'm just exhausted watching this come to life. Fantastic work. I can't wait to see this hit the streets.

19. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

wow, incredible details. but i can picture you gettin nuts over drivin over dirt or wet roads. :D
    I need to learn to stitch myself, let us kno how it goes.

20. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I know it man. I was supposed to be building this car to drive hard, then it took on a life of its own. I'm already thinking about what I'm going to build to drive after this is done. Stupid right?

21. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

sweet car but 40 pages in one setting is crazy lol

22. MEMPHIS RAT

MEMPHIS RAT
    BANNED

1 hr and a half later... worth my numb ass. no pun intended.:D

seen this craftsman's creation Once Or Twice, everytime i see it( cant wait to see it again ) i study the lines & flow It has & Appreciate the many 72hr days spent on the metalwork,bodywork & exceptional paint!!! Beautiful Craftmanship Sir.

luke

23. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

You dont mean this gonna be a trailer queen are ya?
    If you mean that it had initially meant to be your everyday car and now you decided against it but still drive it i understand , but not drivin this?
    Even if it is what youre thinkin i bet youll chage your mind once is ready.

24. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

No, not a trailer queen, I don't even own a trailer much less something to pull it with. I'm just saying, when the car was bare metal I used to do burnouts and drag it without a second thought. I beat the crap out of it and it was fun. But.....now that I have a bunch of time and money wrapped up in it I'm thinking I will go a little easier on her, know what I mean?

I still have an appetite for burnouts and destruction though, so I want to build something to drive the wheels off of next. Think early 60's Ford road race style. Tight coilovers, 5 speed, and everything as basic as it gets. Maybe even enter a vintage road race class or something. I also really want to build my own engine, and I work with some guys who really know their stuff so I want to take advantage of that. My boss built a 600hp NA big block for his '69 Camaro, and the owner has a real '66 GT350R road racer that's ridiculous. Mine well be pre '64 of course.

25. uc4me

uc4me

I am a no talent hack...scratch that...a SUPER NO TALENT HACK.....that car is amazing

26. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1HiXV86xNwg?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1HiXV86xNwg?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

27. Well looks like you're sticking with it. I just wanna see a video of it going down the road finished. Looks good so far.

28. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/50sHDeqw-LU?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/50sHDeqw-LU?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

29. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Stupid trans pan is leaking where I tried to weld up a hole. Gonna have to drain and drop it tomorrow then find a replacement. I also seem to have oil leaking form the timing cover, so I'll have to look into that. The good news is that leaks are easy to spot now that everything is clean. Before it seemed like everything leaked. It felt good to reach another milestone and fire it up and pull it out of the garage today.

30. Who wants to look at that ugly motor. Show us more of the CAR! :)

Nice work, and that GW paintjob looks killer!