Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1951 Ford Convertible top questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shivasdad, Jul 19, 2018.

1. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Actually, two questions. I have a customer with a 1951 Ford Convertible. The top is complete but yucky inside and stained on the outside. He wants a new top.

First question: Does anyone have a shop recommendation in southeast Texas including the Houston area that has experience replacing the top?

Second question: Can someone with plenty of mechanical knowledge and some very basic upholstery skills (me) successfully install a new top? I have found a couple of companies with top kits so I know I won't need to sew anything.

I mostly want a quality job for my customer. The car is at the paint shop right now and the top and reinstalling the nice interior is all that needs to be done when it comes back.

2. I don't know what the Mystery is about Convert Tops but I know why a lot of the Old cars run with the top down. With them up you see a lot more with wrinkles than clean panels. I can give you a list of 4 outstanding Upholstery guys in my aria that wouldn't touch my 51 Vert project. Finally found an Old Timer that explained to me how it had to be done. Well, not the worst job by any measure but the Top stays down most of the time. Good Luck in your Quest.
    The Wizzard

3. In answer to your second question...yes a guy with reasonable skills who is not reading or following installation instructions can do it. I’ve had a convert or two in my garage since about 1965 and have 5 or 6 tops from kits without undue difficulty. I have always bought a premium top when possible.

I chopped my ‘40 convert close to 30 years ago and had a custom cloth top made for it. Still going strong.

My advice....have at it and tell us how it went.

Charlie

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Replace all the tack strips. Even if it looks good. This is your foundation that holds the top on. I had to redo a top that was 2 years old because the previous shop didn`t do it.

5. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Thanks for the answers so far. The kits I'm looking at have new track strips so that's good information. I'm leaning towards giving it a go. I'll update this thread when the car gets finished at the paint shop.