Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 F1 assembly & wiring - where does all this stuff go?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jarretts70, Nov 28, 2021.

1. I've been working on a 1951 F1 that belongs to a good friends dad. My involvement in this project snowballed from "get it to start" to "get it to move" to "get it to stop". Posted a month or two ago with some flathead questions & now it runs great. New brake hoses & master cylinder has it stopping.

Bob (the owner) pulled the front clip before I got involved. He's asked me to put it together. It's kind of a mis-mosh of parts from a couple different trucks. I've figured out most of the sheetmetal, but the one thing I haven't figured out is the wiring. Not so much the function of the wiring; I'm good with wiring & this thing is pretty basic. What I need to know is the routing. Trying to keep it stock appearing & have no idea how the harness is routed - specifically, the headlights & horn. The headlight harness have hi beam/low beam/ground wires - I've no idea where the ground screws are supposed to be located. I've looked at dozens of internet pictures of F1's, but haven't seen any good pictures showing fine details of the harness routing. If anyone has any pictures, please post them up!

2. 24riverview

24riverview

Probably not much help but it's all I've got.
    51 F1.jpg

3. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

While it’s not “ stock “ I would run the ground wires together which means extending them and attach to the frame instead of the rad support as factory , I would also suggest running ground wires to the taillight sockets also if they are still original . Will probably save you some “wiring” issues

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  4. Thanks for the info. I have to repair the headlight harnesses anyway, so extending grounds is an option.
    Not sure how the headlight harnesses are routed? The diagram above indicates they come "sideways" off the headlight housings. Are they poked thru the sides of the grille bar?

5. If there's sufficient length, they may have been routed across the top of the core support. Maybe tucked in to the back side of the upper support? Or maybe run down low along the bottom of the core support.

Just kind of guessing here . . . I have no real experience with Ford pickups of this vintage.

6. Me neither....that's part of the issue :)

7. Ford generally routed the lights/horn wiring on the drivers side inner fender then across the top of the radiator support. This kept the wiring away from road splash/rock damage. There should be some small holes in the inner fender, these are for the clips that hold the wiring in place.

8. vickckik

vickckik

I suggest you join Ford Truck Enthusiasts. There is a section on the website specific to F1s.

Dino 64 likes this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A classicwiring.com laminated 17”x 11” shows everything and the correct colors for each wire. I cannot live without mine.

10. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Headlights and horn wires run along the driver’s inner fender. Just under the ‘lip’ of where the inner and outer fender meet. Along the inner fender with stock clips. The clips were riveted to the inner fender. Wires go to a firewall hole next to the voltage regulator.

Just Gary likes this.