Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 sedan wheel cylinders?????? hellllllllllp!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old soul, May 24, 2012.

1. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I am just trying to find wheel cylinders for my 50 chevy sedan. Every parts store can not get wheel cylinders for 49 or 50 chevs. They say they can get them for 48 and 51 but not 49-50. Is there a I didnt have to spend that much on all 4. That would hurt.diffrence between 50 and 51??? Mine have the adjusters on them. I seen that you can get them threw chevs of the 40s but there 94 dollars apeace. I was really hopeing I dint have to spend that. That would hurt. I was also considering getting the rebuild kits. But ive never rebuilt them befor. I also need shoes for the back and the return springs. Could you guys please help me in the right direction?????? Thanks you guys rock. Oh yea I dont know if this will help. But my front wheel cylinder bore size is 1 5/16 and the rear is 1 1/8

2. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

you could rebuild them with the same used parts if there salvagable. It very very easy. If they're stuck, then there's work. Soak/clean/& lightly sand the bore if nessasary.

If Stuck, make an air fitting adaptor & wrap the whole thing with a rag for safty.

3. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

4. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Thats what I was wondering. Cuz the springs and the rubber look fine. But the reason I took it off the car is because the wheel cylinder was leaking. If the rubber is good where would it be comming from???? If my rubber and springs look good. I should be able to clean the bore. And just re assemble right??

5. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

And thanks x drag I will use them worst case. They look the cheapest so far.

6. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

That's what my cheap ass does first. Zero Dollars!!!

7. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Can I smash them with a hammer???

8. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

kanters auto?i didn,t check but usually have kits for complete job.reasonable

9. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

What!!!!!!

10. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Thats what I feel like doen

11. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Thanks for the help so far guys. Any other help or tips would be great

12. Yeah put the hammer away

13. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Just one of those days. You stay up all night till the parts stote opens just to get the run around. Makes you wonder why you just keep comen back for more.

14. you should be able to buy kits cheap.

15. we're all trying to save a buck, but remember this is your brakes we're talking about. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT SYSTEM ON YOUR CAR.

16. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Dirty bore. Like you said, the rubbers look good. Zoom in on the bore & clean good, clean the pistons too.

17. 62rebel

62rebel

when i run into a situation where i know the part in question is damn hard to find, i try to find a practical substitute for it. that said, i don't know why the part you need is almost year-specific. if it's a question of how they mount, or what attaches to them, i'd be working to replace them with a solution either easier to find or more effective. you're building a rod, not doing a restoration; go for something more practical.

18. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

It's the internal rubber "cup" that either leaks or don't leak. 1 5/16" and 1 1/8" rubbers are a universal part. 8 rubber cups at about a buck each plus some time with a wheel cylinder hone (also cheap if you don't have one) should have you stopping.

19. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Yea I know But its got a three on the tree. That will slow me down lol. See I already thought about it.

20. good thing you are not in indiana.

21. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I wouldent get caught dead there. But with no brakes id still prolly be the safest one on the road.

22. My local Napa stocks the rubber cups at about $1 a piece, might give yours a call and see what they have.

23. WOW! do you know something i don't? i've lived here 45 years and i don't know what you mean by that. i'm not bullshitting you, your brakes are not the place to cheap out. do what it takes to fix them right, or stay the FUCK OFF THE ROAD!

24. It really isn't necessary for good safe brakes to spend a pile of money on them. The cylinders are very easy to rebuild. Get the individual parts if the kits are not available, clean the bores and hone them if needed. It is an easy job. The only reason to scrap them would be if they are deeply pitted.
    If you need instruction ask here.

~Alden

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

NAPA can get individual cups??? Last time I was in there, the old guy (younger than me) said "Yeah, those cups used to be stocked on a compartmented table...no more, though. Lucky if you can get kits."

This is in California! (Central California, where the traffic moves slow and the parts men move slower.)

26. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Whats your issue moron???? Do you really think im gonna drive around with no brakes???? So why dont you stay the fuck off the road befor I run you off it.

Oh and on ice road truckers the show deadliest irt shows how people in india drove.

27. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Id have to say steering is the most imporant system on a car.

28. rld14

rld14

India is not the same as Indiana.

Indiana has Steak N Shake, India doesn't.

29. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Lol yea I just noticed that. I was only busten his chops and he took it to heart.

30. so you can steer into a tree to stop!