Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Provost BUS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roddin-shack, May 11, 2013.

1. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

The old Flxibles had 6-71 series Detroit Diesels in them for the most part. The 6V92 didn't come along until the 70s. If this one is an old Prevost it looks remarkably like the old Flxibles...Cool stuff for me. I drove for Greyhound for a few years in the 70s and actually drove the Super Scenicruisers (GMC PD4501 model) double deckers on routes with passengers and freight (built from 1953-1956) . They were powered originally by two 4-71 Detroit Diesels and a 4 speed trans with a two speed axle. The twin didn't work. They re-powered them with 8V71s and locked the two speeds in high range. They were tough then!!! The driver write-up books that always accompanied each bus had a gold star on the front of them denoting a million miles travelled and most of these old gals had 6 gold stars!!!!

2. bobadame

bobadame

Nope, the old Flxibles had 320 cu in Buick straight eights. A few had Fageol 6 cylinder engines. Eventually they came form the factory with 4-71 Detroits then 6-71s.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If that is the one on the north side of Hwy 7 near Marmora I'm one of the rubber necks who stopped to take pictures.

Don't remember what kind of engine but it is mounted in the rear. The body is constructed of aluminum panels over a framework of angle iron and strap iron. It has a very home made look in spots. As if it is one of the first buses they turned out. Pretty sure it has the original gasoline engine. Diesels did not totally take over the big truck and bus market till the seventies.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  4. Here's mine, and what I want to do with it. I'm building a 47 COE Autocar to pull it with. (my avatar)

Attached Files:

5. Now that would be one very unique 5th Wheel; not to mention your Autocar puller.
    These early buses make the coolest R.V.'s, but are very spendy projects. (storage can
    be too!)