Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Packard problem spots

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clay Belt, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

What are common problem spots with the 1950 Packard? Going to look at a sedan Sunday that has a lot of potential (but currently runs and drives), bone stock with the Flathead 288 I8 and three on the tree. My current inclination is to buy it and run it as is until I can get ahold of either one of the Packard V8’s or maybe a Caddy 390 or a Nailhead to drop in, maybe do a floor shifter set up and some other odds and ends. I want to make sure there aren’t any things I should look out for that are Packard specific rust spots or otherwise problematic if that makes sense though.

2. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Wish I had seen this, but I haven't been around.

My experience is, these cars leak along the fronts of the front doors and rot out the floors at the base of the A pillars. The body to frame attachment bracket also rots. It looks like it may collect crap from the road tossed up on top of it, but that's probably more of a chicken-and-egg thing as far as determination of causation. Either, way, good luck.

I'm going to look at two '47 coupes next weekend, and I wonder if they do the same thing. We'll see . . . .

3. Fleetside

Fleetside

Did you ever get it? I have a 1950 Club Sedan. But I can't help with the problem spots other than the car is 71 years old so you're going to always have something. I have no rust issues. But I live in the desert. My car has always been in the desert. It's very dry here. Sun is the enemy here. It bakes everything faster than Betty Crocker. But I have to say that these cars (At least mine) are built like a brick shithouse.