Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Mercury new harness installed now starter button works withou the key??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fermiumhalo, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

so I finally got off my lazy butt and installed a new from dash to engine harness and so far so good the clock works :) but the starter button cranks over the engine with the key being in the ignition only actually starts the car with the key to the right though... is that normal? if not what did I do wrong and any idea where i can get a wiring diagram for a 1950 mercury 4door?

Thanks everyone!

2. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Yes, this is normal. From what I recall the starter button will work reguardless, it just completes the ground in teh starter circuit. It doesn know/care where the key is or when it will be inserted and turned. Figure there is nothing stopping the current from jumping poles on the starter relay once the ground is completed (button is pushed).

Hope this helps.

3. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford

Same as my 51 chev.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Normal for all '37-50 Ford products. If it bothers you, swap to a hot wire rather than ground activated solenoid and swap button for one with two poles, run a wire from ignition switch to other terminal on button.

5. newstranger

newstranger

I like having that capability in my '52 Chevy... makes for setting the points gap, valve lash adjustment, and other assorted duties a little easier. Bump, bump... ahhhh there it is! Of course a remote starter switch does the same thing.

-ns

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, some early Ford solenoids have an extra button right on the solenoid so you can use the starter from under the hood without even jumping a terminal!

7. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

WOW thanks guys talk about a safety issue! LOL imagine leaving Jr. in the car with it in gear down on a hill :)

8. thisbugger

thisbugger

nothing to worry about

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

My '48 was the family ride when I was a tot...what worried my parents was that I might turn the key and lock the steering! I had a vividly imprinted mental list of what things I was allowed to touch in the car and which would lead to deep do-do.

10. Yup. Same with my 50 Merc. By the way, if your garage floor is level and your battery is strong you can use the starter with the car in gear to move the car a little. As compared to pushing, your foot can be right there on the brake. Just be sure the key isn't turned. :eek: