Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Hudson Windshield Wipers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bobberash, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

Hey Guys

Anbody know here I can source a complete wiper system ffor a early 50's Hudson or has anobody done a custom install or know a setup that will work with minimal fuss & metalwork

trying to take the hassle out of getting a roadworthy in aus.

thanks

2. What are you missing from your set-up? If you have the pulleys, cables, and so forth, there are a couple of sources for electric wiper motors that replace the original vacuum wiper motor.

3. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

I have aboslutley nothing but 2 holes for the wiper towers no motor , not cables ...nothing

Im thinking im gonna have to troll a wrecking yard , was hoping somebody may have completed a upgrade at some time

4. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

many thanks 52plybizcoupe<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_8481029", true); </SCRIPT>

5. Ramblur

Ramblur

6. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

Ill give it a shot .. Thanks

7. roughneck424

roughneck424

8. 51hornetdude

51hornetdude
    from denver

Ditto on www.classiccar.com/forum
    A bunch of guys from down under on the Hudson Forum. If you still don't have any luck, I have a few parts cars with complete setups, but shipping is a little pricey.

Don

9. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

Very Much appreciated

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

11. Canus

Canus

Check with Lance Walker (Hudzilla) at Hudsonparts.com. He sells used and refurbished Hudson parts for reasonable prices.

12. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

Appreciate the input and feed back guys , I believe what I'm going to do is do a complete overhaul and upgrade to electrical/bar system and do away with the vacuum style.

13. Also check with Jason at Vintage Coach in Fontana, California - he took over his Uncles' Hudson resto and parts business when the uncle passed away a few years back. He is an excellent used Hudson parts source.

Also, Al Saffrahn in Maricopa, Arizona has been selling and parting Hudsons for over 40 years. Both can be found on the internet, I don't have their contact info handy.

14. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

well for the $350 bucks from the speedway kit or all the labor of love job the lucas looks to be you could prob do several original hudson systems. i have several of the cables and other parts, and i'm sure several others do to and would sell them pretty cheap. like mentioned above Lance Walker rebuilds the main part and i have bout several things from him and he always does a good job. if you already have the vac hookup from fuel pump you can get off pretty cheap. if you have you mind made up to go another route no problem, but the orig setup looks pretty cool.

15. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

I dot have the vac hook up it has 5.3 vortec fuel injected motor , so I was going to have to jerry rig the vacum one way or another to make it work come up with something .. So I'm figuring electrical is despite a some metal fab will be the simplest way.

16. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Done in a single afternoon. Not sure what qualifies it as a labor of love - I'm normally very anti-Lucas. They don't call him the prince of darkness for nothing. But their wiper set up is supremely adaptable, very cheap, and works well.

By all means, if you have access to original systems and it's easy to convert to electrical - do it. But if, like the OP, you're starting from scratch with nothing, I think it's a mistake to dismiss the Lucas system out of hand.

17. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

you are prob right, totally dismissing it is a bad idea. since he doesn't have the d/a fuel pump it is might very well be the easier solution for him. my only point was parts can be had for these pretty cheap, so starting with nothing shouldn't scare you off the orig set up. i just skimmed over the lucas link the first time around and it looked more involved, but i work pretty slow. so i'm sure it would take me more than a afternoon! :D

18. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Fair enough. I guess I'm approaching it as a non-Hudson guy - I don't know everything I'd need to piece together an original system, so it would seem easier to me to just work with something else that's adaptable. But I can certainly appreciate the fact an OE system is actually designed for the car. If I had a complete system, and it was just a matter of wanting to convert to electric instead of vacuum, I probably would not look at replacing the system with the Lucas and instead see if there was an easy way to replace the vacuum motor with an electric one. Courses for horses - it's what makes this hobby great! ;)