Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Ford woody engine swap......What oil pan???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasser55, Sep 18, 2008.

1. gasser55

gasser55

I'm doing a engine swap in a 50 ford woody.The engine getting installed is a 302 Sbf and i'm trying to find out if I need a front or rear sump oil pan? I was thinking rear sump but not sure.Thanks in advance

2. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

If the woody frame is like any other, its a rear sump/dual sump. Dual sump is like Lincoln Town Car, Foxbody mustang etc. Get the pan, sump and main bearing bolt w/ little bolt that holds the pickup tube in place.

3. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

5.0 Mustang, or a bronco would work even better. Use some 5.0 Headers also, they fit perfect if you're using the stock steering

4. gasser55

gasser55

I'll hit the junk yard by my house in the morning and see if I can find a oil pan...Thanks for the tip on the headers I think a have a pair 5.0 headers lying around I can can use.

5. eye bone

eye bone

The main thing to look for is if you're useing stock steering is that the drag link fits between the bell houseing and the rear of the pan. I've heard of guy's customizing the drag link to drop somehow but then you have the problem of getting it snagged by a road hazard. I've even heard about guys passing it through the oil pan buy welding in a tube for it to pass through. If it where a SBC you'd want to use a Blazer pan, or a center sump.