Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Fleetline Deluxe dash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RUSS BUCKLIN, Nov 25, 2020.

1. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Hi all, a couple of interior questions:

- Will the original 6v dash clock explode when I convert to 12v?
    - I am removing the original tube radio, it takes too much space behind the dash. Any suggestions what to do with the original hole?

Thanks.

2. BJR

BJR

I have been running a 6 volt clock on 12 volts in my 49 Buick for 5 years now. The clocks only use 12 volts for a split second, when the points in the clock come together to energize the electro magnet in the clock to wind up the spring. Then the clock runs on the spring for about 3 to 5 minutes and the points come together and it starts over.

3. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most common thing I've seen is to hinge the chrome speaker cover and use that area as a hidden spot to install a modern stereo system and use a radio delete plate in place of the original radio face

4. You can get a radio delete plate .

or just remove all the guts and leave the face plate in the dashing

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here's a radio delete plate. Radios were all dealer installed, so they took these plates off the cars and tossed them in a box I guess... I bought 70 of them that someone found at an old dealership several years back, they sold for anywhere from $20.00 to $60.00. feel sorry for the guys who paid $60.00 then I listed the next one starting at $20.00

s-l1600.jpg

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

... as for the clock, they do make both a wind up and electric clock for 49 - 50 Chevrolets.

7. getow

getow

My 51 has a wind up clock. Didnt know there was an option for electric.

8. RUSS BUCKLIN

RUSS BUCKLIN
    from Seattle

Mines electric it looks like

9. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

My 51 has a radio delete. If it didnt, I would gut the radio and just mount the face if I didn't have room for one.