Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1950 flathead v8 in F1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dennis Sobey, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Dennis Sobey

Dennis Sobey

Need some help here. I am putting together my 50 F1. I have run into a bit of confusion. There are two openings on the right hand side of the engine (looking from rad) the second one is where the oil filler is located. the first I have no clue for. It is not the coolant (there is one of these on each side upper and lower) and it has me lost. I got the truck as it is and cannot seem to find out what the hell it is for... help??? I know I am going to shake my head when I get the answer but at the moment I am lost.... ford flathead.jpeg

2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

That's for the road breather. A tube here vents blowby to the ground. It's a little pipe the curls around the timing cover and goes down.

I may and I stress may have an extra. (It may have been scrapped with a ruined manifold) If you need that pipe, let me know and I'll look through my junk. It may be gone but let me know.

If I have it I'll mail it to you.....free if in the USA.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

4. Dennis Sobey

Dennis Sobey

Thanks for the info. I was stumped. I am in Ontario so it would be a long ship. I would be willing to pay for the shipping and an amount thank you if you have such a piece. Seems damn hard to find.

5. Dennis Sobey

Dennis Sobey

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It really shouldn't be that hard to find. Ford sold a lot of those cars in Canada in the early fifties (even until '54, IIRC). I think if you look hard enough, you'll find one. Make sure you get both clamps as well as both pipes.

Dennis Sobey likes this.
  7. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

put a grommet in that hole and run a pcv valve to the carb or manifold vacuum ...

Atwater Mike and Hnstray like this.
  8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did that on a 276" Merc I built about 25 years ago. It worked well. These days, however, I like the look of the stock breather pipes (chrome-plated, of course).

9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Road draft tube hole. Use a pcv to fill the hole. They run about $45 for the kit or you can make one up.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Found it! It actually is together with both pieces and a clamp. It's serviceable but's far far from perfect. It will need cleaning up and paint. It's also dented a little but not too bad.
    Interestingly, it came off an old hot rod, a 1935 Ford Fordor of all things, built in the 50s. I actually looked at the car in the woods and bought the engine out of it from the guy that later acquired it from the property owner. Sadly this tube and the trans adapter were the only things salvageable off that 8BA engine. I thought I could save the crank and rods but...no-go.

If you want it I can send it to you...no cost. My son has some car parts coming and I can reuse those boxes and packing material.
    If you want I can post a photo of it on here or in a PM.
    If you know you want it without a photo.....just PM me your address.

11. Dennis Sobey

Dennis Sobey

that's great. soon as I figure out the PM portion I will do so. Thanks

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah, just look at any of the hot rods that run flatheads. Seems like they're ALL 8BA types, not 59 ABs. Every one of them has the 'downpipe', so...Crap! They're ALL on old hot rods! :D